Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fuel gauge in my escy fluctuates and is inacurate at times. The gauge needle is actually vibrating slightly side to side giving the needle a fuzzy appearance. I changed the fuel pump/sending unit and still the same problem. I took the instument cluster out and I see that the gauge unit is replaceable in the cluster. Is this my problem or am I over looking something? Anybody ever experienced this? Thanks

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
It is much more likely the fuel tank sending unit is worn out.
They have a tendency to wear the teeth off the sensor arm which causes intermittent resistance faults which in turn causes the gage to fluctuate or read inaccurately.
You should be able to get a "fuel level sensor kit" to repair this problem. You might also consider replacing the entire fuel pump module wich would include the fuel level sensor but would cost much more.

·
Registered
Cadillac
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I should have wrote that I did change the sending unit. That did cure the inacurracy of the gauge but the needle still has that vibration. The dealer says the instrument cluster needs rebuilding. Not sure that there right.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Oh you mean the needle is "twitching" like really fast?
Yeah, that would be a cluster issue.
They should be able to get you an exchange cluster or send yours for reman.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts