Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need struts and have a broken strut tower, if I replace the electronic struts with regular ones will the ride be affected I've heard conflicting stories. I'm just not feeling paying the price for the original equipment but will eventually if need be (I was told they were around $500 a piece new) but I don't wanna replace them with an aftermarket set and the ride be noticeably affected......

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,785 Posts
You'll probably never notice the difference if you go with passive struts. You WILL get a SERVICE SUSPENSION SYSTEM message unless you install the appropriate resistors.

I'm not understanding "broken strut tower". :hmm: The strut tower is part of the body where the upper part of the strut is mounted.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,273 Posts
I need struts and have a broken strut tower, if I replace the electronic struts with regular ones will the ride be affected I've heard conflicting stories. I'm just not feeling paying the price for the original equipment but will eventually if need be (I was told they were around $500 a piece new) but I don't wanna replace them with an aftermarket set and the ride be noticeably affected......
===========================
I need struts and have a broken strut tower
the STRUT TOWER is the structural part of the car the strut bolts up to -
if it is "broken" - you need a new car -

if I replace the electronic struts with regular ones...................
are you SURE you even have the F45 - electronic suspension?
check the RPO - Regular Production Options sticker -
located on the underside of the spare tire cover -
you should see either FE1 or FE3 and F45 -

don't confuse ELC - Electronic Level Control -
with electronic suspension -

will the ride be affected
if you DO have the F45 system -
and convert to "passive" struts -
it depends on how you drive -

if you insist on taking entrance or exit ramps at 100+ MPH -
YES - you would notice a difference -

99.999% of people who drive "normal" feel no difference -
except the difference one would expect -
when replacing a worn out strut with a new unit -

I recommend the Monroe strut kits -
these kits include everything - except new springs -

90011-1 - RIGHT - $127.23 - with free shipping -
http://www.partsgeek.com/dp6cxvc-cadillac-deville-suspension-conversion-kit.html?fp=pp
and

90011-2 - LEFT - $127.23 - with free shipping -
http://www.partsgeek.com/ss/?i=1&ssq=Monroe+90011-2&x=9&y=10

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Preciate the response and info and yes the vehicle has the leveling system I had to replace a part dealing with that last year and I'll recheck the receipt but believe it said broken strut tower. The vehicle has the electronic struts in the front, I've been told by two mechanics, thanks for the link I'll check it out. I definitely Drive fast but not 100mph on entering off ramps lol so those will do just fine

1 - 5 of 5 Posts