Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
none
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all my friend has a 2000 eldorado, and the function that turn the radio off when you open the door is not shutting the radio off and is draining his battery. does anyone know if this a some sort of sensor that has gone bad? if some sort of wire that has gone bad. im used to working on older vehicles and am kind of lost on this one. any help would be great! thanks! studie.

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
The function is called RAP and consists of 2 relays controlled by the PZM. The PZM uses as inputs the Ignition key position and the doorjamb switches (Eldorado=2 Switches).
Is not the first Eldorado of that vintage I hear about with this problem. So coulprits could be any of the following:
-RAP relays (2 located on the back of the rear seat –down-left);
-The PZM (also located in the back of the rear seat in generally de same are)
-The doorjamb switches
-The Ignition switch

First pull the codes too see if any, then use the common sense to eliminate each one of the above until you left with just one. Is the chime beeping when opening door (either ignition key in or headlamps on)? If yes then the doorjamb switches are fine. Test the rap relays to see if any is sticky. Find out a schematic (I believe I posed one here-use the SEARCH button for “RAP”) and with a multimeter check the PZM ignition key inputs (key in all positions). If all good then … new PZM.
As containment pull the comfort fuse, you will have no more radio power after you turn the key off but at least you don’t drain the battery. Obviously the question is any codes?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts