Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Eldorado
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody direct me to information on replacing the TCC Solenoid by way of the transmission plate on the drivers side behind the wheel? I have scanned threads but really there are about 450 of them.. Once the metal plate is removed how do you get the solenoid out? :unsure:

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,531 Posts
Once you get enough parts and equipment moved and the engine tilted slightly toward the passenger side, side plate bolts removed, you'll have about a 1 1/4" opening to work in. Using a hook pick you pull the retainer hairpin clip and slide out the solenoid. Remove the broken off electrical connector, hook up the new solenoid and pray mightily as you attempt to insert it and re-install the locking hairclip. It's an 8 hour job.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,794 Posts
This video will give you an idea of what you're in for.

·
Registered
Eldorado
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK although I do realize this someone on here posted a few years back about an easier way where you remove the metal plate from the driver's side wheel well area of the transmission (outside bottom not under the hood). There was actually a diagram posted and now I can't find it. Mine causes the service engine light to always be on and I have lost about 5 mpg. It has not affected any other performance. It just irritates me.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,531 Posts
The reason you think its "outside, not under the hood" is because the picture was taken after the necessary removal of the left front wheel and suspension parts. Wide open fenderwell - parts removal is 3/4 of the time involved.

TAANSTAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.

Codes P 1860 (solenoid failure) or P 0741 (TCC stuck off)(activation fluid internal leaks) will set the TCC SES light and cause a 2 - 4 mpg fuel mileage decrease because the engine does not slow down by the desired 300 or so rpm at highway road load speeds.

If you're not subject to emissions testing then you can drive the car forever with either code and no damage other than the lost fuel mileage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts