Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 eldorado etc
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a new ignition switch installed, the steering wheel is on crooked by 1 or 2 spines, (my opinion). The dealer states you cannot put it on but 1 way due to a line-up spine on the wheel. only goes on 1 way. And that is how it was when I brought it in for repair, so says the service adviser. Dealer could not explain how it got crooked to begin with but it is on correctly. Any comments on this. I want to prove the dealer wrong. Dealer meaning mechanic and service adviser.

Thanks, Craig

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,292 Posts
I just had a new ignition switch installed, the steering wheel is on crooked by 1 or 2 spines, (my opinion). The dealer states you cannot put it on but 1 way due to a line-up spine on the wheel. only goes on 1 way. And that is how it was when I brought it in for repair, so says the service adviser. Dealer could not explain how it got crooked to begin with but it is on correctly. Any comments on this. I want to prove the dealer wrong. Dealer meaning mechanic and service adviser.

Thanks, Craig
--------------------
sorry Craig - the dealer is correct -

on the steering shaft - at the 12:00 position -
one of the splines is ground off - so it's like a double-wide groove -
and on the same position of the steering wheel -
one of the splines isn't cut - so it's like a double-wide spline -

the steering wheel simply can't be installed "1 tooth off" -

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
You can do a simple test to show that it's not installed crooked. Turn it full lock in one direction, then full lock in the other. It will stop in the same (mirrored) position.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,794 Posts
You're thinking of the old days when steering wheels COULD be installed off a spline or two and could even be put back to 12:00 the same way. Those days are long gone.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Hitman, I got your PM. Your inbox is full, and this belongs here anyway:

XHitmanX said:
if it doesn't mirror each other, then what would I be looking at for a fix, it rides strait, just had new struts and springs and a 4 wheel alignment.
The fix would be a process called "centering the wheel", an adjustment of the tie rods on both sides. It's part of an alignment, but if the tie rod ends are adjusted while the steering wheel isn't pointed straight ahead, the steering wheel will be off center when the car is driving straight.

sub, Ranger, this thread belongs in Eldorado/Seville.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,292 Posts
Hitman, I got your PM. Your inbox is full, and this belongs here anyway:

The fix would be a process called "centering the wheel", an adjustment of the tie rods on both sides. It's part of an alignment, but if the tie rod ends are adjusted while the steering wheel isn't pointed straight ahead, the steering wheel will be off center when the car is driving straight.

sub, Ranger, this thread belongs in Eldorado/Seville.
----------------------------
The fix would be a process called "centering the wheel",
an adjustment of the tie rods on both sides

100% CORRECT -

toe IN the HIGH side -
toe OUT the LOW side -

the HIGH side and LOW side refer to the "SPOKE" of the steering wheel -

if it "looks" like you are turning RIGHT -
the LEFT side is the HIGH side -

1 - 7 of 7 Posts