Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I changed the front calipers, pads, rotors and hoses to the calipers, the rear pads and rotors were also changed. The front drivers side pad is now worn after 10k miles. It seems that the calipers in front don't release all the way and drag causing wear. When the front is up on jack stands the rotors don't want to turn by hand but if the caliper pistons are compressed then the rotors will freely rotate. Is there some other part that can cause the front calipers to hang up like this?

·
Registered
Cadillac
7 Posts
Make sure your calipers float freely on the mounting pins,they may need to be cleaned and possibly lubed. I have had to hand file some brands of brake pads to obtain a snug fit in the pad holder. If the pads have to be forced hard into the holder they may not release back with the caliper piston,causing the pad to drag on the rotor. I have not gotten into the brakes on my 02 Eldorado yet,but I plan to shortly.-saltr

·
Registered
2000 STS RHD 194,150 miles. what's a speed limiter???
219 Posts
the abs pump may be faulty, a sticking valve can cause a brake to stick on.
have the pump checked using tech 2, the FSM shows a procedure for doing this. the tech 2 activates and releases individual valves in the abs unit, the result is that each wheel is either free to turn or not.
a sticking valve will not throw a code because it is a mechanical fault, not electrical.
the brake fluid should be changed every couple of years using tech 2 and the auto bleed sequence.
when my abs pump failed, a sticking front brake was one of the symptoms.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts