Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2000 eldorado, 99 deville, 92 brougham limo, 71 sedan deville
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all. first time eldorado owner here, and honestly i don't know what took me so long.

recently picked up a pearl white esc with about 88k on it, had been sitting up for a while and the usual gremlins are present. but over all im surprised by how much i love it. after years of driving devilles, fleetwoods, and most recently a brougham limo, this thing feels like a race car lol.

so far ive had a new belt tensioner, idle pulley, alternator and ac compressor put on while tracking down a noisy bearing, but the major remaining issue that's worrying me are the abs and traction control lights. i was told by the previous owner it was the abs module, but im not prepared to say i have total faith in his diagnosis. brakes seems to function fine, but im a little worried about what might happen in an emergency situation.

so my questions are: how difficult is replacing the module yourself? youtube suggest its pretty straightforward, but is there programing or anything of that nature involved? Im not overly excited about doing things myself these days, but the shop wanted almost $900 for labor, and considering im getting pretty deep in id like to save a few bucks if i can. the video i saw suggested it was as simple as climbing under, removing the old one and putting on the new. is this fake news or what?

secondly, how much am i risking my life riding around with a bad module? and is there an easy way to confirm this is the issue?

i also welcome any other suggestions or ideas, things i should be on the lookout for, etc. thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,924 Posts
What "usual gremlins" ? The car has its own built-in diagnostic code scanner and memory, OBD-II.Study the correct section of the sticky "How to pull codes". Post any found codes and their definitions here.

From the side picture the ELC is not working.

The wheels don't go with the car - and the ride must be choppy with so little rubber/air between the wheel and road, even if the ESC does have the soft passive suspension. (It's the 275 hp 3.11 economy cruise final drive.)

The ABS block itself is a murderous bear to change. Check the large electrical connector for moisture and cleanliness first.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What "usual gremlins" ? The car has its own built-in diagnostic code scanner and memory, OBD-II.Study the correct section of the sticky "How to pull codes". Post any found codes and their definitions here.

From the side picture the ELC is not working.

The wheels don't go with the car - and the ride must be choppy with so little rubber/air between the wheel and road, even if the ESC does have the soft passive suspension. (It's the 275 hp 3.11 economy cruise final drive.)

The ABS block itself is a murderous bear to change. Check the large electrical connector for moisture and cleanliness first.

- by gremlins i just meant it needed a new battery, bulb here or there; biggest thing was the canister purge valve that was causing problems when filling the tank. still cant fill at full blast, but fast enough now for it to not be a total headache. the shop was basically saying at this point they'd have to smoke it out to see if something else was clogged, but im happy for the moment. im aware of the onboard diagnostics, but have not pulled codes because honestly i don't want to have my heart broken just yet. tackling the most pressing issues one by one and working my way down the growing list that i know will likely never be completely finished.

- all too familiar with the elc. have not had good luck with it on past cars, constant stream of compressors going out. will likely switch to manual fill eventually

- also aware of the aftermarket status of the rims and was prepared to hate them with all my heart...but somehow i don't. cant explain it. have never had aftermarket rims on anything but here we are. ride is surprisingly not bad at all.

- if you say the abs block is a bear that's pretty much all i need to hear. i'll give that sensor a look though, much obliged.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,579 Posts
Pull the DTC's before throwing parts at it or repairing the ABS module. It might be as simple as a bad speed sensor in the hub & bearing assembly, a much cheaper and easier fix.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
definitely will do. Getting the ac compressor and alternator changed right now, will
Be tackling that next. The only other thing that has popped up was the low oil pressure alert message, which flashed for literally just a second the other day after I’d been driving about 30/45 minutes. No Taps or engine noise outside of the ac compressor that I could hear, and Oil looks normal and is filled properly. My thought was maybe a bad sensor, but now that I know the alternator was acting up, could it have been from low output or something like that?

·
Super Moderator
86,579 Posts
IF you need to replace the oil pressure switch, be sure to use an AC Delco switch. Aftermarket switches may not be calibrated the same and you may have to replace it again or worse yet, be led down the yellow brick road to a more expensive and needless repair.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just got it back and its sounds better than ever. no more bearing noise and turns out my refrigerant leak may have been due to bad rings in the compressor. mechanic suggested i refill it myself and save some money. seemed like a good guy and didn't sem bothered by having to explain his work, which is always a plus for me. since my shade tree guy of the last ten years has taken sick, will likely go back again. battery voltage seem steady betwen 13.9-14.4; $1225 out the door for the new compressor and alternator...maybe a few hundred high but for the convenience, warranty, and roadside assistance, seems worth it i guess. he confirmed both my and your thoughts about the abs light being a quagmire and possibly running another grand or two. but he also admitted he hadn't noticed any significant performance issues, and was just obligated to let me know they could possibly fail. Will pull codes later and see what story they tell. so far im about $3700 in on the whole car. if i can manage to get anything out of my previous daily driver (99 deville, currenly needs new rack and pinion), i might still come out of this looking pretty good.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
okay so just went out and pulled codes, the only current code if for the ac relay. im assuming its locked out because of low refrigerant. there are a few history codes, but the only one related to the abs was c1243 (BPMV pump motor stalled). so is this a worse case scenario? does that mean it stalled once, threw the code, but is working now and they're basically just saying hey get that looked at? they feel the same as any other car ive driven and ive noticed no difference in performance myself. have not tried braking suddenly at 70mph though sooooo

·
Super Moderator
86,579 Posts
A "current" code will go to history after 3 ignition cycles with no fault detected OR it was cleared manually. It will self clear from history after 40 - 50 cycles (varies by year). Unless the ABS light comes on again, I don't think I'd worry about it.

No need to be doing 70 to test it. If you are in a cold climate, find a snow covered road or parking lot and lock the brakes at a low speed. You should hear it engage. If now snow available, try it on dry pavement at 20 MPH or so.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry, should have mention the abs and traction control lights are on and have been. Did some digging around the forum and saw someone with a similar issue that was fixed by cleaning the ground wire on the pump motor or something to that effect. Mechanic agreed he would start there before going for the full on replacement (reassuring to hear) anyway, so may just start there in a week or two after catch my breath from this current spending spree. Luckily my commute is only 10 minutes on surface roads, so I think I can get by in the meantime.

·
Super Moderator
86,579 Posts
If the ABS light is on, you should have a "current" code.

I once had a similar problem with my wife's '96 Bonneville. I sprayed the connector down with Brakleen and that solved it.

secondly, how much am i risking my life riding around with a bad module?
I wouldn't worry much about that. It's no different than driving any other car before ABS was standard equipment. You may have learned to drive on one.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If the ABS light is on, you should have a "current" code.

I once had a similar problem with my wife's '96 Bonneville. I sprayed the connector down with Brakleen and that solved it.

I wouldn't worry much about that. It's no different than driving any other car before ABS was standard equipment. You may have learned to drive on one.
yeah i definitely expected a current code due to the light being on, but none the less none are present. will keep checking periodically. will give the brakleen a shot though. otherwise ill probably just live with it for a while

1 - 12 of 12 Posts