Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
eldorado
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend bought a 2000 Eldo with 169k on it. He bought it with the Service Engine Soon light even though I told him not to do it. The car is actually really clean and runs good for the most part but I checked the codes to see what the cause of the engine light is and its throwing a ton of codes. My hope is that they were caused by the motor being washed down which from what I understand the guy he bought it from said it could be from and that it will clear itself eventually otherwise I suspect my friend is in for a nice expense. We cannot inspect the car until this is recitified and he is on a 20 day temp. I'm hoping someone here could shed some light on this issue. Below are the codes which I already deciphered.

Thanks in advance,
Adam

------------------------------------
P0101 - MAF
P0171 - Fuel Trim Lean Bank 1
P0174 - Fuel Trim Lean Bank 2
P0335 - Crank Position Sensor A Circuit Performance
P0340 - Cam Position Sensor Circuit (something?)
P0341 - Cam Position Sensor Circuit Performance
P0385 - Cam Position Sensor A (something?)
P1106 - MAP
P1571 - Traction Control Torque Request Circuit
P1599 - Engine Stall detected
U1301 - Short to Battery
B2148 - Right front mirror circuit

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,549 Posts
P0171 - Fuel Trim Lean Bank 1
P0174 - Fuel Trim Lean Bank 2
These are most likely the result of a ripped plenum. It has been discussed many, many times. It may even be resposible for the MAF code. Do a search for it. Especially an advanced search for posts by Submariner409.

As for the rest. It's hard to say if they where caused by a wash or not. Clear them and see what returns.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,031 Posts
..............and, for your friends' OBD-II system, it makes a difference whether the codes are Current or History.

·
Registered
eldorado
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
..............and, for your friends' OBD-II system, it makes a difference whether the codes are Current or History.

Ooops sorry. Yes they were all History codes. I cleared all the codes to see what would happen. The light did go off but within a few minutes after driving the light was back on. I rechecked the codes and so far only one code has reappeared. It was the P0340 code and it now says Current rather then History.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,549 Posts
P0340 - Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Circuit
P0385 - Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor B Circuit
CKP sensor failures are common on 2000- early '03's. Gm had a bad supplier. Replace them both.

·
Registered
eldorado
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what can he reasonably expect to pay to have both sensors changed out if he took it to the dealer or a mechanic?

P0340 - Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Circuit
P0385 - Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor B Circuit
CKP sensor failures are common on 2000- early '03's. Gm had a bad supplier. Replace them both.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,549 Posts
I really don't know. I think I recall hearing CKP sensors where $400 - $500 at the dealer. Not sure about the CMP sensor. It is a little easier to access so it may be less.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,031 Posts
The sensors list for around $55 -$70 apiece. The labor is around 2.5 hours total. At $90/hr and $180 for just sensors, you're looking at $400 +.

If you're of a DIY bent, look at www.rockauto.com, surf to your car, and look for the 3 sensors, price-wise. Search the Forums for the location diagrams - they're posted in here and Northstar Performance multiple times. In your garage, with a jack and stands, 3 hours, bruised knuckles, and half price.

(damn, you're quick..........................!!!)

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,549 Posts
Yes, from beneath. Tight quarters, but doable. You'll need to remove the oil filter adapter. They are above it. Sub has posted some good diagrams.

·
Registered
eldorado
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like he is in for some expenses to get the car on the road and has 19 days to do it before his temp expires. Also now gotta see what other codes resurface as current in the next few days.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts