Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Crimson Pearl DTS
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the HG's replaced and timeserted about a month ago now, no problems with the engine temp until today.

It was 95 degrees and we were in stop and go traffic (which thankfully is uncommon for the car) with the AC on. Any of these alone could possibly affect the temp I am sure, it did not over heat, but this is the first time the temp guage has moved past the mid point since I got it back. It moved to the 5/8ish position from time to time through out the day, I would turn the AC off, it would go down a little, at a steady speed the engine temp would always go back to the center. I thought about pushing it a little bit to see if it would fully over heat (if it is going to hurt the HG's I want it to do it NOW since I still have a warranty for the mechanic), but we are 60 miles or so from home and I do not want to foot a tow truck bill...

Do you think this is just a random occurance because of all the variables or is there possibly a problem with the HG's (again) or something else in there?

Thank you for the help.:alchi:

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,999 Posts
That doesn't seem to be too far from normal. Especially considering 95 degrees, A/C on with stop and go traffic. keep an eye on the coolant level as well as temps. Give it some WOT when you can and see how that goes as well.

T

·
0 Posts
Hi, what kind of warranty did you get with the hg and timesert rebuild? Hope it holds up for you a long time. TexasCadillac
I had the HG's replaced and timeserted about a month ago now, no problems with the engine temp until today.

It was 95 degrees and we were in stop and go traffic (which thankfully is uncommon for the car) with the AC on. Any of these alone could possibly affect the temp I am sure, it did not over heat, but this is the first time the temp guage has moved past the mid point since I got it back. It moved to the 5/8ish position from time to time through out the day, I would turn the AC off, it would go down a little, at a steady speed the engine temp would always go back to the center. I thought about pushing it a little bit to see if it would fully over heat (if it is going to hurt the HG's I want it to do it NOW since I still have a warranty for the mechanic), but we are 60 miles or so from home and I do not want to foot a tow truck bill...

Do you think this is just a random occurance because of all the variables or is there possibly a problem with the HG's (again) or something else in there?

Thank you for the help.:alchi:

·
Registered
03 DTS
225 Posts
Change the T-Stat ASAP. I don't care what anyone else says, mine never goes past 1/2, 105 deg outside AC on in traffic. Change it before it overheats as aluminum moptors don't do well when overheated.

·
Registered
2000 Crimson Pearl DTS
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Change the T-Stat ASAP. I don't care what anyone else says, mine never goes past 1/2, 105 deg outside AC on in traffic. Change it before it overheats as aluminum moptors don't do well when overheated.
You think so? The temp has stayed more or less consistant, the past two weeks, but every once in awhile it does creep up to that notch after half way (such as when idling, or even a little bit of traffic) it has been hot so I have just chalked it up to the weather. It goes down as soon as I get back up to speed.

I was thinking today that I fixed the problem when having the HG's replaced, but what was the cause of the HG's going? Overheating, yeah, but what caused the overheating?

Is the T-Stat known to go out? Is this something I should look into? I just don't want to start a wild goose chase... :drink2:

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,999 Posts
I have yet to see my gauge go past 12:00 regardless of outside temperatures. If it goes back down after you start moving, check the condenser fins to be sure they are not clogged with dead bugs. Make sure that the tensioner is working properly. Be sure that the purge line is clear and the cap is holding pressure.

The head gaskets caused the overheating.

Stats do fail. The only way to know if yours is good it to pull it and test it (or just replace it).

·
Registered
97 Lac Deville
204 Posts
i think that he is sayin that he knows that the hg's caused it to overheat, but whut caused it to overheat in the 1st place n mess up the hg's.

·
Registered
'04 Base Deville, Light Platinum - blew HG & SOLD
164 Posts
Guys please pardon my ignorance, but why isn't the T-stat replaced when the HG is replaced?

Seems like it should be easy to do while the engine is pulled out and torn apart?

I had the manifold intake gasket replaced on my chevy lumina and my mechanic went ahead and replaced the T-stat as preventive maintenance because it was convenient at the time.

-jasper

·
Registered
1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk
3,963 Posts
Mine will move from the middle to the line directly right of middle when it's hot out and I'm in traffic. Has done it every day this week (it's been mid-low 90s all week). When I get moving it goes back to the middle. There's a reason there is a range on the gauge - I wouldn't worry about it unless it gets close to the red. Even then, the engine management system takes measures to prevent the car from overheating (it will shut off the a/c, for example).

Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts