Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Crimson Pearl DTS
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my Cadillac since the end of March it was in the shop for about a month getting the HG's replaced (and timeserted) to the tune of 2500, while they were in there the noticed that the engine had a gel like consistency.

Mechanic told me they cleaned out a bunch of it, but that I should have the oil changed after 100 miles and then again at 1000 to help clean the rest of it out. When I took it to him to change the oil at 100 (I actually had to tow it as a ground came loose and caused the car to go haywire...) the charge was $67 and he recommended that I get it changed sooner then the 1000 miles he first recommended.

700 miles later I just had the oil changed again (for $40 from a quick lube place) they mentioned nothing about the oil. :noidea:

I plan on waiting a few days and then checking the oil again, any ideas?

It now has 59k miles on it, what should I be doing maintenance wise to keep it in top shape (i.e. coolant flush (how often), trans flush, etc.)?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,990 Posts
I am not sure what "gel" he was talking about. I would see what the oil looks like when it is drained, but I would think after 2 changes you should be fine to use the normal intervals.

Change the coolant as recommended or sooner.

:tisk: I would not flush the trans. Just drain and refill at 100k.

·
Registered
1996 Deville (sold), 2000 Mustang GT
1,300 Posts
Yea thats kind of curious, never heard of a gel. You did change the oil after the headgaskets blew right? UMaybe he was talking about coolant when he said gel.

·
Registered
2000 Crimson Pearl DTS
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He changed the oil imidiately after replacing the HG's, but it was when he had the engine torn down that he noticed gel like substance in the oil.

·
Registered
1996 Deville (sold), 2000 Mustang GT
1,300 Posts
I really think he was talking about coolant when he said gel. I think after that many oil changes though you should be alright.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Take it back to him one more time for an oil change and see if he gives you the all clear after the next one. Any quick lube place you took it to is not going to take enough of an interest to have even noticed.

·
Registered
Cadillac
76 Posts
I have had my Cadillac since the end of March it was in the shop for about a month getting the HG's replaced (and timeserted) to the tune of 2500, while they were in there the noticed that the engine had a gel like consistency.

Mechanic told me they cleaned out a bunch of it, but that I should have the oil changed after 100 miles and then again at 1000 to help clean the rest of it out. When I took it to him to change the oil at 100 (I actually had to tow it as a ground came loose and caused the car to go haywire...) the charge was $67 and he recommended that I get it changed sooner then the 1000 miles he first recommended.

700 miles later I just had the oil changed again (for $40 from a quick lube place) they mentioned nothing about the oil. :noidea:

I plan on waiting a few days and then checking the oil again, any ideas?

It now has 59k miles on it, what should I be doing maintenance wise to keep it in top shape (i.e. coolant flush (how often), trans flush, etc.)?
I believe the mechanic is right about the "oil gel." I believe oil starts to gel at prolonged high speed driving on very bad oil. I've seen it happen a couple of times in some of the racecars that we build. The oil turns into an almost sticky glop, and the smell is awful. Mind you, these are racecars run at 12,000 RPM +. We would normally run some of the oil flush, found commonly at parts stores, and later remove the oil pan to clean out the resulting mess.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts