Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Cadillac DTS, 2004 Cadillac Escalade
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

I'm new to the site. I'm very greatful that a site like this exists.

As to my problem:

My fuel guage is not reliable at the moment. The needle moves around eratically giving me false readings while I'm driving or while I'm at a stop light or while parked. It seems to be doing this when there is about 1\4 of a tank left. There is half a tank of gas currently in the car and it seems ok. I pulled the codes and got a PCM P0463 history which is a "fuel level sensor circuit high voltage" message. The car has 117 504 Km (73 440 miles) (I live in Canada).

Is it the sending unit, the pump, or the fuel level sensor? The car doesn't stall or not start. Stupid question time; what's the difference between a sending unit and a pump and where are they located on the car?

Does the 2000 DTS have a trap door in the trunk to access the gas tank? I've heard other years do.

The dealer wants $900 for the pump and $220 for the sensor, both of which are not in stock and whould have to be ordered overnight delivery. Where else could I get parts from for good quality and a reasonable price?

I've been trying to do some research on the topic before I bring it to the dealer to speed up the process because I would like it fixed by Thursday afternoon as I would be taking it on a 6 hour ride to a friends wedding.
Any suggestions and or comments would be greatfully appreciated.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,564 Posts
It's all one unit. The pump and the sending unit can be serviced separately. I'm not sure about the sensor though. Yes, there is an access panel in the trunk.

·
Registered
2000 Cadillac DTS, 2004 Cadillac Escalade
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ranger. Hopefully the issue can get resolved without putting a huge whole in my pocket.

·
Registered
1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS
1,694 Posts
No you need an A/C delco SK1030 fuellevel sensor, 140 bucks at rockauto.com. Might be able to find it cheaper on Ebay. I got one for my 2000 deville for about 40 bucks last year off Ebay. Its about an hour job to replace it.

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Deville, 2004 Cadillac DTS, 2011 CTS AWD Coupe
331 Posts
So, If I go to gmparts direct, put in a 2004 Deville, go to fuel system, then components, then level sensor, i find it for 90 dollars. Is this the correct part? Does it install through the trunk?

Thanks!!!

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
you can replace just the sensor
did it on my 97 ETC
much cheaper at about 100 bucks for the sensor
be glad you have the panel and dont have to drop the tank...

·
Registered
331 Posts
So I found the panel...and can remove it.

Whats next? do I need to plug any lines? Disconnect any fuses for the pump? Any help is appreciated...please chime in.

thank you.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,564 Posts
Of coarse you have to disconnect the fuel lines and unplug the electrical connections. Then there is a special too to remove the locking collar, but a hammer and screwdriver will tap it loose.

·
Registered
331 Posts
So...

I disconnect the battery terminal.
Disconnect the electrical terminals.
Disconnect the fuel connections (will they bleed? if so, how do I drain the fuel lines?)
Pull out the big white thing.
Replace the sensor.
Then put it all back together?

If not, correct me if I'm wrong.

THANK YOU!

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,564 Posts
You don't "drain" the fuel lines. Just depressurize them. Locate the service port on the fuel rail and put a rag over it. Depress the valve, just like letting air out of a tire. Might get an oz. or so out of it. The other choice is to pull the fuel pump fuse and crank it.

·
Registered
331 Posts
What will the service port look like? The fuel rail is under the vanity cover, correct? Thank you so much for the help.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,564 Posts
The service port is a schreader valve. Looks like a tire valve. It's under the beauty cover and the port is near the TB as I recall.

·
Registered
2000 Cadillac Deville, 1997 Mercedes-Benz E420
129 Posts
I'm having the sensor problem as well, but I just havent bothered fixing it yet, since one of the features tells you how many gallons of fuel you've used. I just go by that now.

·
Registered
331 Posts
after two painful hours banging off the severely rotted collar, i come to find out the bastards at gmpartsdirect sent me the wrong sensor. does anyone know how good they are at responding to issues? I cant put my car back together until I have this damn part.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,564 Posts
Well, they do not have a phone number you can call. I once thought they sent me the wrong part and emailed them. Never got a response until I figured out it was the correct part and emailed them again. THEN they responded quickly. That's why I like gmotors much better. Most places won't take returns on electrical parts.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts