Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2000 DTS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, new to forum and strut replacement just scored a nice 2000 DTS from a friend. Done some searching on the F45 resistor
trick but can't seem to find any pics. Considering I'm doing the job, why pay someone a ridiculous amount for something I can do myself. Purchased the Monroe 181685 Front Complete Strut Assembly(Summit Racing), now here comes the ? Where the hell do I connect the resistors? Had to cut wire front oem strut, is this where I attached resistor? Or the actual harness plug that connect directly to the strut?

Thanks in advance!!!

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,392 Posts
Most people connect the 4700 Ohm (4.7 KOhm) resistor across the body pigtail connector - same as sticking a bent paper clip into a wall socket. Insulate/waterproof well.

If you're anal and want to be able to restore the car to its original suspension someday, hit a junkyard and cut off all 4 strut/shock electrical connectors from the strut/shock to the body harness pigtail. Solder the resistor across the strut/shock pigtail, insulate well, plug it into the body connector.

Any 4.7 KOhm resistor will work - 1/2 or 1 Watt carbon or 3, 5, 10 Watt wirewound or metal film.

Radio Shack or the PartsExpress website.

·
Registered
2000 DTS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had 2 connectors. 1 was connected to which I had to cut to remove. The other is coming from under vehicle with connecter which goes behind caliper to female connector. Which one do I connect resistir to? Wht do I do with cut line tht was connected directly to oem strut. Been reading, cant find pics. Thanks

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,392 Posts
One pigtail goes to the strut/shock, the other goes to the wheel speed sensor. Do NOT destroy the wheel speed sensor circuit.

You want the connectors that came from the struts/shocks.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
2 wires come out of the strut, single connector. That connector plugs into another one on the car. You can either unplug the connector, bend the resistor into a U shape, and plug it in. Or cut the wires off of the strut, and use butt connectors to connect the resistor to both wires.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,245 Posts
Hello everyone, new to forum and strut replacement just scored a nice 2000 DTS from a friend. Done some searching on the F45 resistor
trick but can't seem to find any pics. Considering I'm doing the job, why pay someone a ridiculous amount for something I can do myself. Purchased the Monroe 181685 Front Complete Strut Assembly(Summit Racing), now here comes the ? Where the hell do I connect the resistors? Had to cut wire front oem strut, is this where I attached resistor? Or the actual harness plug that connect directly to the strut?

Thanks in advance!!!
==================================
Purchased the Monroe 181685 Front Complete Strut Assembly(Summit Racing),
I hope you didn't pay more than $77 each - including shipping -
http://www.amazon.com/Monroe-181685-Econo-Matic-Complete-Assembly/dp/B004Z1J8HG

the resistor must bridge across the two terminals of the chassis plug -

"dirty" method is to simply stick the two wires of the resistor into the plug -
and wrap it up with electrical tape -

the "clean" method is to use the plug off the old strut -
solder the resistor to the wires -
and use heat-shrink tubing to protect everything -
to make a new harness - and simply plug it in -