Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2000 DTS, White Diamond, 150K
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone cofirm if the front lower ball joints are the bolt on are press in type. The look to be bolt on type so looks like an easier job to replace but am looking for advice from the pros here please. Also is the DTS suspension considered to be "heavy duty suspension"? I see many spspension parts noted as "except heavy duty suspension " but no indication of which cars those are, even when I've listed the car as 2000 DTS. Was this an option? No idea and just want to make sure I'm getting the correct parts. Thanks for any / all comments. Ball joint Q is the main.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,711 Posts
Look on the RPO (Regular Production Option) sticker under the spare tire cover. A 2000 DTS should have the option codes FE3 - F45 - sport springs/suspension and CVRSS - Constantly Variable Road Sensing Suspension.

HD is the commercial service suspension with 6-lug wheels and bigger brakes option - you probably don't have it.

For a printout of what's built into THAT car - RPO list - either Google a 2000 Cadillac RPO list or take out a $5 subscription to www.compnine.com - you get your build sheet printout plus any 4 others.

Look at replacement suspension parts for your car in www.rockauto.com.

Bolt-on replacements - https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...e,4.6l+v8,1361393,suspension,ball+joint,10070

·
Registered
2004 Deville, Silver, Gone, but not forgotten, 1972 Eldorado, 1974 eldorado, 1975 CDV
716 Posts
they're riveted on, you can get bolt on replacements but the rivets will have to be drilled out. New control arms come with the ball joint attached

·
Registered
2000 DTS, White Diamond, 150K
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks Sub and jmf! As only 5 lug system this confirms it's not HD. As everyone sells the bolt in replacements I'm assuming drilling out to use isn't a big job. Makes more sense vs replacing the entire A arm unless it reallly needed it. 165K

·
Registered
2004 Deville, Silver, Gone, but not forgotten, 1972 Eldorado, 1974 eldorado, 1975 CDV
716 Posts
Press in ones are also available, if you have the tool kit to do it.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
20,104 Posts
there are no press-in ball joints for the standard FE1 or FE3 suspension -
that is limited to the FE7 commercial suspension system -

your original ball joints are riveted on -
the replacements are bolted on -

in the old days - we used an oxy/acetylene torch to heat the rivets cherry red -
and use an air chisel to cut the heads off - change tops - and punch them out -
you can't do that with cast aluminum control arms -

as for drilling out the rivets -
sure - it CAN be done - BUT - it will take FOREVER -
and if you slip off and elongate the hole - you're screwed -

I STRONGLY recommend replacing the entire control arm -
you can get a MOOG brand replacement for less than $100 -
the added benefit is that you'll also have new control arm bushings -

1 - 6 of 6 Posts