Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone was having a similar problem as me and if they managed to figure out what was wrong, I had recently lowered my motor/ subframe To be able to remove my transmission side pan so I can replace my TCC solenoid and when I finished the job I started my car up and was going to take it for a ride and when I put the car in reverse it just started rolling as if it was in neutral I then shifted into drive and it did the same thing just rolled backwards as if I was in neutral the gear selector on the dash match’s my gear select on my shifter I checked the linkage it’s still connected on both ends no bad grommets as well I lifted the car and put it in drive and the tires spin in drive and reverse but when I lower the car on the ground it just rolls I can tell when I shift that it doesn’t grab the gear as if the linkage was broke and it isn’t shifting into gear correctly it’s like it’s stuck in neutral I can’t figure it out everything seems fine the car shifted fine before replacing the TCC Solenoid can anyone help me figure out what is wrong, the transmission has the proper fluid level as well I’ve replaced the trans filters weeks before this job and it still shifted fine if anyone has any information please let me know

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,658 Posts
STEP #1 - ALWAYS - check for DTC's - Diagnostic Trouble Codes - using the on-board scanner -
if you don't know how - go here -

post any codes you have -
ALONG WITH THEIR DEFINITIONS -

include whether they are C-Current or H-History -

for code definitions - go here -

here is a how-to video -

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not have any codes, that was the first thing I checked I used to have a po741 code for the TCC

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,373 Posts
This sounds like the torque converter is dry.

P 0741 does not refer to the TCC solenoid - P 1860 does. P 0741 usually indicates a worn/leaking seal in the transmission input shaft and torque converter coupling. "TCC stuck off". When TCC is called for the solenoid ports fluid to the converter clutch assembly; the leaking seals prevent clutch engagement. To cure a P 0741 requires complete transmission and torque converter removal and repair.

Scroll down to P 1860 then P 0741 - AWH: Cadillac On-Board Diagnostic Trouble Codes (OBD-II) The word "circuit" says "electrical fault".

Here's a set of tables for FWD Northstar TCC engagement at road load speeds over 43 mph, The VIN Y table stops at 115 mph because the cars are speed limited to 112.

Final drive speed graph.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don’t see how that is possible when I looked it up the information I found was referring to the Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid and when I took it out it was broke at the plug the car drove before I replaced it just doesn’t quite make sense to me

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My car was shifting kind of hard sometimes which was also a sign of the TCC Solenoid that’s why I replaced it

·
Administrator
69,373 Posts
The TCC solenoid has nothing to do with the 1>2, 2>3, and 3>4 shifts. That's all done with the two shift solenoids and line pressures. #339, #909 and #942.

I have had a P 1860 (TCC solenoid circuit) for 5 years. Except for a 1.5 mpg loss on the highway nothing else is affected - and the transmission shifts perfectly whether in D or 1-2-3-D-3-2-1. I clear the 1860 code with a ScanGauge-II and am exempt from emissions testing.

P 0741 = TCC system stuck off
P 1860 = TCC PWM solenoid circuit electrical

Remember - our 3rd gear is the direct drive at 1.00:1. 4th is OD at 0.68:1. TCC is an additional fuel savings feature, factored into the EPA fuel mileage ratings - emissions monitored.

4T80E solenoids and sensors.gif

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So you think it’s my shift solenoids? That’s why it won’t engage drive or reverse?

·
Administrator
69,373 Posts
Hard shot to call - you first said (Post #1) it was shifting fine prior to the TCC solenoid change so something has probably gone wrong during/after that work.

As Ranger posted - is the shift cable still attached to the quadrant in the top of the transmission - right at the firewall in front of your gas pedal toes.

·
Registered
2005 Base CTS work at Pullen solenoids Glass Factory for 36 and a half years
130 Posts
What is the thing at the bottom of your picture that is red yellow and black? On my phone it kind of looks like a weather pack electrical connector that is not completely plugged in and if so that might be your problem.

Roy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If your referring to the plug it’s for my mass air flow sensor because I removed the air box to get more room to take a picture

1 - 15 of 15 Posts