Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All, My 125K miles DHS was taken on a 1K mile trip after changing the plugs. It ran great on the trip averaging 24.3 MPG. However when I returned, 10 miles after fueling up I accelerated out of a light and lost power. The engine was rough and the service engine soon light came on. I pulled over in a quarter mile and the engine was smoking slightly. I added a quart of oil just in case and restarted after about 20 minutes. The engine was smooth and I babied it home (another 15 miles). the next day I changed the oil and looked for anything obvious that might have caused the smoking and only found the typical slow oil pan leak. When I gave it a 5 mile test run to the store it ran fine. On my way back onto the freeway I floored it and it lost power and ran rough again. I pulled over and shut it down. after a minute I restarted it and it was still running rough. Shut it down again and set for 10 minutes and when I restarted it this time it was sill running rough. I drove it slowly home and let it sit a week. When I started it again it ran smooth for a short 2 mile test run but I was light on the throttle the whole time. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
09 cadillac cts4 09 yukon Denali
194 Posts
If you had check engine light you should have a code.
I think you can pull codes off your model from dash. You could Google abd watch video on hiw to get codes from your Cadillac

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,863 Posts
start by checking for DTC's - Diagnostic Trouble Codes -
if you don't know how - go here -

post any codes you have -
ALONG WITH THEIR DEFINITIONS -

include whether they are C-Current or H-History -

for code definitions - go here -

here is a how-to video -

·
Registered
'93 SedanDeville 60 Special
232 Posts
Possible got bad gas on last fillup ?

Know more if reporting DTCs have tripped such as lean fuel trims, etc ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone, I pulled the codes and there were only those associated with my clicking vent actuator. Also the Low Oil level light never came on however I verified it's functional when I changed the oil. I expected that it would have had some fault codes but I was pretty quick to shut the engine down when it flashed. Perhaps I should let it run longer. I'll see about replacing the fuel filter - any recommendations for a decent replacement?

·
Registered
2002 Deville and 2009 DTS
529 Posts
In my experience, when the 2002 caddy and 2009 Caddy ran rough, it was one of the coils. SEL did not come on.

Otherwise, I would suspect something like Idle Control Valve, MAF Sensor, etc... I would clean those first before replacing.
You could have an issue with fuel pressure. Hence, try changing the fuel filter first.

The "smoking"- did it smell like burning, or could it be coolant steam?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In my experience, when the 2002 caddy and 2009 Caddy ran rough, it was one of the coils. SEL did not come on.

Otherwise, I would suspect something like Idle Control Valve, MAF Sensor, etc... I would clean those first before replacing.
You could have an issue with fuel pressure. Hence, try changing the fuel filter first.

The "smoking"- did it smell like burning, or could it be coolant steam?
The smoke came from between the firewall and the engine closer to the drivers sise of the car after I took it out and it exhibited the prior characteristics. This time I ran it in this condition long enough I got the following Current codes: IPM B0249, B0429; PCM P0300, P1360 and History codes: IPC U1016, IRC U1016, MSM B1860. The car has sat for 6 months while I was deployed and now need to dig back into this.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,863 Posts
The smoke came from between the firewall and the engine closer to the drivers sise of the car after I took it out and it exhibited the prior characteristics. This time I ran it in this condition long enough I got the following Current codes: IPM B0249, B0429; PCM P0300, P1360 and History codes: IPC U1016, IRC U1016, MSM B1860. The car has sat for 6 months while I was deployed and now need to dig back into this.
=================
codes are meaningless without their DEFINITIONS -
and no one has them all memorized -

go here for the best list of Cadillac code definitions -

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the link. The descriptions for the current codes are:
-PCM P0300 engine misfire detected
-PCM P1360 ignition coil group 2 control circuit
-IPM B0249 heater/defrost/AC door range error
-IPM B0429 temp control #3 rear circuit range/performance
And the history codes are:
-IRC U1016 loss of class 2 communication with VCM
-IPC U1016 loss of communication with VCM.
Also I forgot to respond to the question regarding the smell of the smoke. It was not a coolent smell but possibly electrical and something else. Thanks all for the help

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just to close out this thread I was able to fix this problem by replacing the Block 2 Cassette (front of vehicle). The smoke was due to the rough running engine. Thanks all

1 - 12 of 12 Posts