Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to purchase a model 2000-2003 DeVille, and would like to add aftermarket wheels/tires. I am a 23 yr old who wants to DRAMATICALLY distinguish himself from the 50+ crowd who typically owns these models. I have never ridden in a smoother vehicle - I don't understand why hardly anyone thinks of ride quality anymore when purchasing a vehicle! Many people my age buy small sport compact cars that ride like there is no suspension at all.

I haven't found anyone who has put aftermarket wheels on a Deville. I want to get an idea of what 17s, 18s, or 19s (if they would fit), would look like on a Deville, and what widths of tires look good also.

Can anyone reply with links to sites or pics of 2000+ Devilles with aftermarket wheels?

What are the implications of increasing tire diameter on the Deville? I know that larger tire sizes will change the gear ratio and the tires may rub at full turn of the steering wheel - these affects I can live with. What can be done to compensate for the increased diameter of the tires at the speedo, if larger tires are chosen?

Also - are there any sportier seats that will look good and fit in the DeVille? The large/wide seats don't seem to have enough lateral support for myself, and the leather can be somewhat slippery. I don't plan on driving it like a race car, but I don't want to have to grip the steering wheel like a gorilla to hold myself in the seat when accelerating on the on-ramp to the freeway. I am not a big fan of leather seats because they typically get slippery - I prefer cloth.

Future Cadillac Owner,
Andy

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Welcome aboard Andy. And welcome to the world of Cadillac customizing. Not a lot out there for performance-oriented people. You CAN get a DTS and it comes with a console and bucket seats from the factory. As for the wheel/tire issue, changing the tires outside diameter will affect the speed sensor reading, which will in turn affect the transmission shift points, speedometer, odometer, speed-sensitive steering, road-sensing suspension, stability control system..........
Get it? I would check with someone like Ed Wright at http://www.Fastchip.com to see if they can do a PCM reflash to correct the speed sensor issue. As for the availability of wheels/tires, I'd probably start with http://www.Tirerack.com

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
you should maybe consider purchasing a DTS which comes with high speed rated tires, 17 inch chrome wheels, console mounted shifter and bucket seats. All the chrome is painted also, giving it a much more sportier look.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
I definetly wouldnt go over 18s, and 17s i think would be perfect......

What is the OEM tire size for your car (ie on the sticker)

·
Registered
549 Posts
Anything with a 5X115 bolt pattern and 30-40 mm offset should work fine. Just keep the wheel width under 8.5 inches. 17X8 is the biggest stock wheel size that they offer for the Deville from Cadillac. Personally I like the chrome 17 inch DTS wheels with a set of Vogue tires. Antera makes some nice deep dish wheels for late model Cadillacs if you want to set yourself apart. my .02 $
-Lelo

·
Registered
158 Posts
fancy_pilot said:
I want to purchase a model 2000-2003 DeVille, and would like to add aftermarket wheels/tires. I am a 23 yr old who wants to DRAMATICALLY distinguish himself from the 50+ crowd who typically owns these models. I have never ridden in a smoother vehicle - I don't understand why hardly anyone thinks of ride quality anymore when purchasing a vehicle! Many people my age buy small sport compact cars that ride like there is no suspension at all.

I haven't found anyone who has put aftermarket wheels on a Deville. I want to get an idea of what 17s, 18s, or 19s (if they would fit), would look like on a Deville, and what widths of tires look good also.

Can anyone reply with links to sites or pics of 2000+ Devilles with aftermarket wheels?

What are the implications of increasing tire diameter on the Deville? I know that larger tire sizes will change the gear ratio and the tires may rub at full turn of the steering wheel - these affects I can live with. What can be done to compensate for the increased diameter of the tires at the speedo, if larger tires are chosen?

Also - are there any sportier seats that will look good and fit in the DeVille? The large/wide seats don't seem to have enough lateral support for myself, and the leather can be somewhat slippery. I don't plan on driving it like a race car, but I don't want to have to grip the steering wheel like a gorilla to hold myself in the seat when accelerating on the on-ramp to the freeway. I am not a big fan of leather seats because they typically get slippery - I prefer cloth.

Future Cadillac Owner,
Andy
Yes you can fit 20 inch wheels on a Dts I have them on my STS and am in the process of buying a DTS the car will not ride as smooth but the handling will be a lot better also remember the Devilles do have computer controlled suspension so even on 20's mine rides better than my wifes 330 bmw traditionally reffered to as a good riding car if you want to see caddies on wheels go to car domain.com or I am on the alba wheels.com web page in the rides section.....floss mode like dental as they say....definitely not your grandpas caddy.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Katshot said:
Welcome aboard Andy. And welcome to the world of Cadillac customizing. Not a lot out there for performance-oriented people. You CAN get a DTS and it comes with a console and bucket seats from the factory. As for the wheel/tire issue, changing the tires outside diameter will affect the speed sensor reading, which will in turn affect the transmission shift points, speedometer, odometer, speed-sensitive steering, road-sensing suspension, stability control system..........
Get it? I would check with someone like Ed Wright at http://www.Fastchip.com to see if they can do a PCM reflash to correct the speed sensor issue. As for the availability of wheels/tires, I'd probably start with http://www.Tirerack.com
It does not affect the shift points because they are computer controlled and the car adapts you are right however about the speedo I never know how fast I am really going. I talked to a guy at cadillac northstar fabricators they have 525-1200 hp northstars....but the tranny is the weak link...I am ordering parts to take the dts from 300 to 375+ from rsm racing soon. One good thing I have found the bigger wheels raise the stabilitrak 2.0 threshold I can now get seriously sideways...before the big brother says no!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
GERMEEZY1