Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Deville
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Base DeVille, has about 90K on it, bought it a little over a year ago with about 57K. In the last couple weeks the transmission hesitates when shifting in low gear, Ive noticed that the more I drive it, the worse it gets, but if I let it cool off (few hours while at work, overnight, etc) its fine at first, then gradually gets worse. I took the car to AAMCO, had them run diagnostics, and couldnt believe it when he said the transmission is fine. He said that my catalytic converter and mass air need to be replaced as well as a tune up. Basically, the guy told me that the car had needed tuned up for some time, and because I didnt do it, that is what caused the issue with the cat converter and mass air, which in turn does not tell the transmission to shift properly. I am not at all mechanically inclined, so this really makes no sense to me. Is this pssible? My biggest fear is that if I replace these 2 things, get the tune up, that wont solve my shifting problem. Can anybody tell me if they have had similar problems, and if this will solve them. Also, I live in Columbus Ohio (No emissions testing), and somebody told me that I can just take the cat converter off, is this true? Will this solve my problem?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,113 Posts
Removing the CAT will create more problem as the O2 sensor will report an emission problem back to the PCM and it will likely lean out the mixture trying to compensate, not to mention that the SES light will always be on. Pull the codes and clean the TB for starters.

·
Registered
2013 XTS
2,087 Posts
Is that true Ranger that those two things can cause that ?
If so it give me an excellent excuse for a new cat and a pair of delta flows on my STS lol.

·
Registered
Cadillac
72 Posts
Yes. What AAMCO told you is very possible.

I had an '01 Saturn L300 (V6) it had a similar recurring problem which begain around 40k miles. It would hesitate going into low gear. The problem got worse and by 51k miles, the hesitation was bad enough that the car would slow way down on corner exit before finally finding 2nd gear and jerking the car. Other owners also reported harshness in the shifting. Basically, the MAF sent information to the tranny on what gear to go to and when, as well as help regulate transmission fluid pressure.

I did a bit of research at the Saturn website and several owners had similar problems. The fix: replace the MAF. $100 and a new MAF later, my L300 tranny was shifting perfectly again. Downshift to 2nd happened quickly and firmly.

Replace the MAF and see what happens.

·
Registered
2000 Deville
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey, just wanted to post back with the results:

After replacing the cat converter, the tranny shifts fine now. Couldnt believe it, less than $150 fixed the problem that I was losing sleep over, because I figured I would spend upwards of 3K on a tranny. Then I did the tune up and mass air for good measure, runs like a champ. Surprised the hell out of me that AAMCO didnt go ahead and replace the tranny too, knowing that I would have had them do it if they told me that was the problem. I guess AAMCo isnt so bad after all. Thanks everyone for your input on this one.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,113 Posts
After replacing the cat converter, the tranny shifts fine now.
Well I'll be dipped.

Surprised the hell out of me that AAMCO didnt go ahead and replace the tranny too, knowing that I would have had them do it if they told me that was the problem. I guess AAMCo isnt so bad after all.
I believe they are franchises so each one is different and as good (or honest) as the owner.

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
Beyond this thread I would listen to ANYTHING AAMCO told me. They seem to have gotten this one right but I recall them totally hosing someone else very recently with the same car.

For major stuff like trans problems, do yourself a favor and go to the dealer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts