Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Deville
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had the alternator replaced and drove it for 1 week without a problem. Now i'm getting a bunch of 1016 codes. Example: IPC U1016, IPM U1016, IRC U1016, MSM U1016, ABS U1016, DDM U1016, DDS U1016, etc...Also I've had the "Service Theft System" and "Service Traction Control System" display on the DIC and the chimes go off too. The car drives fine but all these codes are worrying me. Any ideas?
I appreciate the help.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
U1016 - Loss of Communications with PCM
It is becasue the battery was disconnected. Clear 'em and check again in a week. Likely they will not return.

·
Registered
2000 Deville
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Drove the Deville today for the first time since I last posted, maybe 30 miles without a problem, then the Service theft system Service traction control system displays came on again, also the digital speedometer was not accurate, the MPH number was jumping all over from the 20s to 70s while I was actually going 25MPH. As soon as I got home I turned it off, now it doesn't want to start. This time I'm getting U1000 codes while the U1016 are now history. I checked the battery connections, they are nice and tight. The battery looks a little bulgy though. Tomorrow I'm going to Auto Zone and have the battery checked. Hopefully that's the problem but I don't want to spend 100 dollars for a battery.

·
Registered
2000 Deville
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Took the battery to Auto Zone, sure enough the battery was weak, but not that weak. They recommended it be charged. Got that done and took it back to the Deville. When I try to start it nothing, just like before. I get my power pack and hook it up to the terminals under the hood, not the battery terminals. This time I get clicking but still no start. I continue to try and start it and it clicks a little bit and then it fires up. I turn it off and when I try to turn it on, I get clicking sound again and then it starts again. This time I leave it running for a bit and when I try and start it afterwards it starts up. The only thing I see wrong now is the digital fuel display. The fuel gauge looks like it is displaying the the right amount but the range says "L0" instead of the miles amount. I'm going to make sure that all the connections are nice and tight with the alternator and starter units. Any thoughts out there?
Thanks
Also, all the codes are history now, except now I'm getting IPM B0429.

·
Super Moderator
86,781 Posts
Replace the battery with a known good one and see if that helps. That will eliminate the battery for sure. I'm leaning towards a bad battery.

·
Registered
2000 Deville
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Roger that! I'll give that a try. Also at Auto Zone, they didn't have those in stock. Are these batteries dealer only because of the vents on the side of the battery? The one I have looks like it came from Walmart (Everlast), but it seems that it wasn't long enough because the tubes that are inserted over the vents only fits good on one side and I'd have to bend the tubs to make it fit on the other side. It's just not a snug fit, it seems the battery is too small.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
86,781 Posts
The battery vents do present a problem. I have never had to replace one ....yet, so I have no recomendations but I would suspect anyone that sells A/C Delco can get one for you, but, before you go out and buy one, just swap one in from your, wifes, girl friends, buddies, neighbors car as a test.

·
Registered
2000 Deville
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This morning I tried starting it with a new battery, still doesn't start. Everything else turns on: the headlights, the radio, the cabin lights,etc. Help, any ideas? Thanks

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
If this is the battery under the rear seat, you must install a 79 series battery with the vents on the sides.
If you don't the battery will vent hazardous gasses into the passenger compartment, someone should make an aftermarket replacement but if you can't find one please go get a Delco battery.
Just remember to tell them it's a "79".

Now as to the no starting problem, lets start with the basics.
I am kind of lazy so I don't like to read back but if I understand what you are saying you have a cranks but won't start condition.
You said the gas gage reads okay but the DIC says "LO". Are you sure the car has gas in it? Sometimes the fuel level sensor goes bad and can read okay but there is actually no gas in the tank.
If you have a current U1000 and your U1016 DTCs came back you could have something wrong with the data line to the PCM.

Could be lots of stuff causing communication problems with the PCM, bad wiring or a loose ground wire maybe. Anybody been doing any work to the car lately? You don't have any rodent problems in your area do you?

If you can get a good battery in the car and then let's just start over describing what condition you are up against right now I'll see what I can offer you in the way of advice.

·
Registered
2000 Deville
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the reply! Right now I'm not even getting cranking. I installed a brand new battery from my 90 Deville, everything turned on: the headlights, radio, cabin lights. I also tried to start it using my power pack. When I hooked it up to the terminals under the hood I got rapid clickings but no start. I already ruled out the battery. Right now I'm only getting U1000 codes

About a month ago, the alternator was replaced at this shop. Since it was replaced the "Service Theft System" and "Service Traction Control System" display appeard on the DIC about 3 or 4 times, but I didn't drive it often.

Also after the alternator was replaced I smelled something burn while I was driving it, it only lasted less than 20 seconds but I thought it was from something outside. At the time I didn't think nothing of it. I'm not sure if it was related to one of the electrical componenets. Now that I think of it, it probably was.

Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
86,781 Posts
A/C Delco or aftermarket alternator? Caddy's don't seem to like aftermarkets from what I have seen here.

·
Registered
2000 Deville
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't install the alternator, but from what I remember, I think it was an AC Delco. Also, it is one of those coolant cooled alternators.

·
Registered
2000 Deville
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I didn't install the alternator, but from what I remember, I think it was an AC Delco. Also, it is one of those coolant cooled alternators.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts