Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad just bought a 2000 Deville from a friend of his and found out that it is leaking transmission fluid. I'm looking into this for him to see if I can find out anything so if you need any more information I can ask him.

On start up it leaks about 4 fluid ounces from the drivers side while sitting in the driveway and then a little more when you reverse out to leave. Once the car is going it appears to stop leaking. He can find where it is leaking from so that he can fix it himself. The Cadillac dealer where he lives estimates $1500-2000 to fix it. The car runs and drives great but he really wants to get this fixed himself without having to pay a dealer to do a simple fix for him. Has anyone else had a similar problem to this and know where the fluid could possibly be leaking from? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

As I said, I just talked to him on the phone about this so if you need more information just let me know and I will ask him. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,788 Posts
You will need to pin point the leak a little better than "The drivers side". Could be a trans fluid fitting at the radiator side tank (trans cooler) if it is that far up front. If it is farther back, it might be the other end of those lines, side case seal, pan gasket.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He said that it is leaking near the axle. This is where the dealer believes that the transmission fluid is leaking from but why does it stop once the car is warmed up?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,788 Posts
Don't know. Just a guess but, perhaps a seal swells as it heats up or something like that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts