Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac Deville 2000 base
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cabin hood release handle is broken on a 2000 Deville (base model).

My question is how do you replace the new hood release handle and cable?

I see there is a rather large rubber grommet on the cable that goes through the firewall or front fender (not sure which).

Can you pull the old one out and just fish it through? I am not sure where the cable goes from the fire wall to the engine area.

Also not sure how to remove and reinstall the cable at the hood latch. The cable end is much larger than the slot where it resides.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2000 SLS
292 Posts
FSM procedure for R&R is below - note it includes removing and replacing latch. It seems that replacement comes with latch attached to cable - Part #15242444 is my guess. I would try repairing latch first then replacing latch only before replacing entire assembly.

Good luck - post back results.

Hood Latch Release Cable Replacement

http://127.0.0.1:9001/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=481151&psdid=186&evc=sm#ss1-481151#ss1-481151
Removal Procedure

1. Open the hood.
  2. Remove the upper filler panel.
  3. Remove the hood latch. Disconnect the hood release cable (1) from the hood latch (2).
  4. Tie a piece of string around the hood release cable. This will ease the installation of the hood release cable through the engine compartment.
  5. Remove the front wheelhouse liner.
  6. Open the clips (1) retaining the hood release cable to the vehicle
  7. Remove the fasteners (2) securing the hood release handle (1) to the vehicle.
  8. Disconnect the hood release cable from the hood release handle (1).
  9. Tie a piece of string around the hood release cable. This will ease the installation of the hood release cable through the passenger compartment.
  10. Remove the hood release cable grommet (2) from the wheel opening.
  11. Remove the hood release cable from the vehicle. http://127.0.0.1:9001/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=481151&psdid=186&evc=sm#ss2-481151#ss2-481151
Installation Procedure

1. Transfer the string to either end of the new hood release cable.
  2. Route the string and the hood release cable into the passenger compartment.
  3. Remove the string from the hood release cable.
  4. Seat the hood release cable grommet into the wheel opening.
  5. Connect the hood release cable to the hood release handle (1).
  6. Install the fasteners (2) in order to secure the hood release handle (1) to the vehicle.
  7. Pull the string and the hood release cable into the engine compartment.
  8. Remove the string from the hood release cable.
  9. Position the hood release cable in the clips (1) and close the clips.
  10. Install the front wheelhouse liner.
  11. Install the hood latch
  12. Install the upper filler panel.
  13. Close the hood.

·
Registered
Cadillac Deville 2000 base
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eric,

Thanks for the reply. The job took about 1 hour.

I ended up replacing the entire cable and handle which seemed easier to do because the handle/release is molded around the cable.

I am not sure what the upper filler panel is. Easiest step is jack up car, remove the wheel and wheel well upper cover. Tieing a string around the old cable is a big help. It is much easier to fish the new cable with the string.

Once the wheel well cover is off, it's pretty much a breeze. The cable goes through 2 round clips which are attached to the fender that need to be released with a screw driver.

The most difficult part, only because I did not remove the hood latch/release assembly, is to get the cable reattched at the hood latch. Only took about 5 minutes of fiddling with a needle nose pliers and flat screw driver. Probably easier than having to remove/realign the hood latch.

Replace the 2 screws at the handle, reassemble all parts you removed and you are in business.

Thanks again,
John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts