Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac Deville 2000
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, my name is Ethan and I have purchased a Cadillac Deville 2000 last year and just recently it has started going through lots of anti freeze and smokes lots out of the exaugst. I am confident that the head gaskets bolts have stripped out and I am ready for the job of replacing them. But I have a question I would first like to know. My dad and I were going to pull the entire engine but I had a idea that I think might work but I want to get more oppions on the idea. So what I want to do it remove the radiator and the cross beam that it bolts to. I then want to off course unhook everything else from the engine. My idea is will i be able to slide the engine and the transmission to the very front of the car to give me more room to work on the head gaskets? Will this work or would I have to pull the engine? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
Cadillac Deville 2000
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We don't really have the correct tools to lift the engine how so we were hoping this would work so we would not have to rent/buy a cherry picker

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,254 Posts
We don't really have the correct tools to lift the engine how so we were hoping this would work so we would not have to rent/buy a cherry picker
========================
We don't really have the correct tools to lift the engine
the procedure is to DROP the entire cradle -
and LIFT the car -

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,423 Posts
Yep ^^^ and ^^^^ - drop the powertrain out the bottom and give yourself the necessary workspace to drill, tap, insert (or stud), clean all 20 head bolt holes.

Do NOT re-use the old head bolts - all 20 of them go in the trash.

You will NEED the correct Cadillac service manuals - hard copy from eBay, DVD from www.helminc.com or online from www.alldatadiy.com - - - there are too many special procedures and torque values to simply wing it, with potentially disastrous consequences.

·
Registered
Eldorado and DeVille
27 Posts
I have replaced the head gasket and time-serts in car before and the time spent on it was a very long and hard battel. just think about all the aluminum bits covering your work space. all the steps you have to fallow because you need to cover to whole front of engine. Aluminum falling into exhaust manifolds and so forth. You still have to support engine and loosen frame bolt brackets tilt motor without damaging oil-pan. and then at the end of the job your going to be thinking, I wished I would have listen to the people who have been there and done that. What is the cost of buying a used engine hoist on craigslist, new at harbor freight and tools? when done using hoist, sell it on craigslist? And by the way I ended up keeping my engine hoist because I never wanted to be without an engine hoist again.
I bought a 2000 Cadillac Deville with full intentions of repairing head gasket but out of car period. You can watch video's of guys doing it the hard way (Deville 96-99 or Y-05). Then email them, check and see if those Cadillac Deville's are still running today. Sorry about the long novel answer. It can be done in car, but it is way easier out of car! Thanks for your post so I can vent.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Dropping the cradle was quite some work but well worth it once you start working on drilling and tapping. No amount of tilting the engine would give the clearance that it does, and your back will thank you.

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V
1,714 Posts
As others have said, drop it out the bottom; don't even THINK of doing this job in the car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts