Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When driving in heavy rain (10 to 15 mph), through water pooled ( 2 to 3 inches) on the roadway, the engine will die and the speedometer will give erradic (high & low) displays; even though I'm coasting to a stop. After stopping and sitting for a few minutes I can restart the engine and resume travel with no problems unless I encounter more water. Dealer has replaced the "crank positioner" sensors but the problem still persists. The Service Manager says it may be something I have to live with because they can't find the cause. He did suggest that I take it to a larger dealership with more "seasoned" technitions. I feel that this is a safety issue, especially if I'm in heavy traffic (as it did on 08-30-03 in San Antonio, Tx.) when this happened the last time. Is my 2000 Deville the only one that can't drive through a little bit of water???? Any suggestions and/or information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG
2,043 Posts
after it took my 2000 DTS to the car wash...it started giving me somewhat of a similiar problem, although im not sure if its exactly the same. When i was my car i always use a pressure washer at the car wash to clean my grill from all the bugs or whatever...anways after washing it i started noticing that when i accelerated the car would seem unsure about waht it wasnted to do, it woudl accelrate then feel like it stops for a split second then starts again. Also if i was driving sow, liek idling at a supermarket parking lot, the engine would jsut totally shut off on me. And when i would start the car it wouldnt jsut start with one turn of the key like its supposed to, i would have to hold the key there for 1 or 2 seconds. We took it to the dealer and the problem wasnt mechanical, it was from one of the sensors giving a bad message to another computer. All they did was reset it and it was fine. Hope you find whats wrong. Technically they cant tell you to just live with it, if your car is a 2000 you still under wrranty for a few more months, i know i am. So tell em to fix it!!! :)

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Yeah...... I believe you can reset the computers by unplugging the battery for a given time to erase the back up memory........ Usually 24hours will do it.......

If not, it sounds like the transmission speed sensor........

·
Registered
67 Posts
2000 deville stall

ok i am now having the same problem, except without the water....
i was idling at a red light, engine cut off, that lasted for about a week then went away. about a month later it started again and lasted about 3 days. this time it started and i went to accelerate and it did jsut like you said and it acted liek ti didnt know what to do, it started to go, then dropped down like it was cut off, then came back on, and right after that the service engine soon light came on. now i was driving into a parking lot tonight and it cut off, i could start it right back up and i parked, i went inside and came back out and i couldnt start it. it took like 10 minutes off trying to start it in intervals to get it to start, and the service engine soon light was one again, also i dont know how this is realted, but now when i turn off the ignition the interior ligths dont come on anymore, the doors light or anything its completely dark, when i turn the ignition off and/or open the door, any idea on what i shoul ddo, i was gonan go to the dealer tomorow morning but i wanted to ask on here first. any info will help. thanks
Peace
C

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Re: 2000 deville stall

devillain00 said:
ok i am now having the same problem, except without the water....
i was idling at a red light, engine cut off, that lasted for about a week then went away. about a month later it started again and lasted about 3 days. this time it started and i went to accelerate and it did jsut like you said and it acted liek ti didnt know what to do, it started to go, then dropped down like it was cut off, then came back on, and right after that the service engine soon light came on. now i was driving into a parking lot tonight and it cut off, i could start it right back up and i parked, i went inside and came back out and i couldnt start it. it took like 10 minutes off trying to start it in intervals to get it to start, and the service engine soon light was one again, also i dont know how this is realted, but now when i turn off the ignition the interior ligths dont come on anymore, the doors light or anything its completely dark, when i turn the ignition off and/or open the door, any idea on what i shoul ddo, i was gonan go to the dealer tomorow morning but i wanted to ask on here first. any info will help. thanks
Peace
C
ok i dont know if the water was the cause...it might just have been coincedence but it was just a computer problem...it was sending a bad signal to the engine causin it to turn off or not function correctly. Its a very simple fix the dealer can just reset ure computer signal.

·
Registered
67 Posts
ok ill ask the dealer because when i went to the dealer here in st pete, fl they checked it, and gave me a diag that said is was the crankshaft position sensors $340 fix. also for the interior lights not coming on they told me it was my rear integration module $400 fix. anyway thanks for the info i will definetly try that before i start throwing money at anything. thanks
Peace
C

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
yup thats what mine was too. I forgot exactly what it was until i read ure post, my problem also had to do with the crankshaft thing. Ifyou have a 2000 Deville you car SHOULD still be under warranty until december. My problem occured in AUgust and was fixed under wrranty and no cost to me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts