Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2000 DTS
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all,

This is my first Caddy and my first post on here. I just bought a used 2000 DTS with decent miles (105,000) and I can drive it about 10 miles and it starts to overheat. It also says low coolant. I was hoping that it is the thermostat because no heat is coming out of the vents. I checked the oil cap and I didnt see any moisture so hopefully it isnt the head gasket.

How can I tell? How can I get to and replace the thermostat?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Combination of coolant mysteriously disappearing & overheating is not good. Forget about thermostat and perform a block test. You can get a kit from NAPA stores or you can borrow one from one of those main brand parts store. Your head gasket is likely blown / head bolts are pulled. Do a search about "head gasket" "block test" on this forum and you will get a lot of info.

Northstar engines are different from any other common engines, they will not put coolant into oil (or vise versa) when your head gasket is shot. The engine will not leak externally. The engine runs smooth with blown head gasket. Thermostat rarely goes bad.

Please return with results.

·
Registered
'99 DeVille D'Elegance
59 Posts
maeng9981 is right,just dropped off my '99 DeElegence less than a half hour ago for the H/G issue.
Check out posts here, there's a lot of info but I wouldn't buy into the myth that sure cause is failure to change coolant.
My car has 76,000 miles and I've personnaly changed the coolant twice since buying the car with 32,000 miles from a Cadillac dealer.
It was a one owner car and the dealer did the maintenence for the original owner.
Maybe that's why it was sold.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
72,798 Posts
Driver's end of the engine - thermostat housing.

Weird overheating and coolant loss is NOT good. Northstars with blown head gaskets due to cylinder block head bolt hole thread failure do not normally put coolant into the oil.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,954 Posts
If you "just" bought the car, I'd try to return it. Used car sales are "As Is" so chances are slim, but worth a try as you are most likely looking at a BIG repair bill. It ain't the thermostat.

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
Hello to all,

This is my first Caddy and my first post on here. I just bought a used 2000 DTS with decent miles (105,000) and I can drive it about 10 miles and it starts to overheat. It also says low coolant.
Why not address the obvious?? You have a CHECK COOLANT LEVEL message which means the coolant level sensor is faulty OR, the coolant level in the reservoir is actually low and not at the proper (cold) level.

When the coolant level is low, the water pump is being fed air from the reservoir and that air will not transfer much heat from the engine or into the heater core.

I'm one of those who refuse to jump to the thermostat or water pump or headgasket conclusion based on "not enough information".

Confirm your coolant level in the reservoir is correct !!

·
Registered
98 Deville, '15 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium, '12 Ford Escape
3,294 Posts
Follow the suggestions of the wisemen here on the board that have already posted, if you cannot return the car (or if you can) do the block test to test for HG problems after you check the obvious like JimD said.

Here's my video for how to do the test, it comes with the bad news, which cost $3114 about 3 weeks ago. so do your homework :thumbsup:

I think we need a page of step by step stuff to just DO at the first signs of overheating to give to people who come here.

·
Registered
1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk
3,963 Posts
Why not address the obvious?? You have a CHECK COOLANT LEVEL message which means the coolant level sensor is faulty OR, the coolant level in the reservoir is actually low and not at the proper (cold) level.
Especially if there's no heat. Seems like a no brainer...

·
Registered
2000 DTS
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you "just" bought the car, I'd try to return it. Used car sales are "As Is" so chances are slim, but worth a try as you are most likely looking at a BIG repair bill. It ain't the thermostat.
I got it from a repo auction for only $1,300. So I kind of knew that if I had to get another engine another $2,000 to $3,000 isnt bad for the car. Everything else is in very good condiditon. I found a engine for it with 80k miles on it fro $1,650. Is that a good price?

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac STS-V Black On Black
1,428 Posts
I got it from a repo auction for only $1,300. So I kind of knew that if I had to get another engine another $2,000 to $3,000 isnt bad for the car. Everything else is in very good condiditon. I found a engine for it with 80k miles on it fro $1,650. Is that a good price?
Thats amazing !! I wish i found a deal like that ! and is the engine from another 2000 DTS?

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,954 Posts
I don't know what to tell you about engine prices. :noidea: but all junkyard engines seem to have 60 - 80K on them. :hmm:

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
I would properly diagnose the HG and fix it, so I can have a peace of mind. Chances of HG is high, but it might as well be a plugged purge line that boils coolant (thus making it overflow & overheat) If you repair it correctly, you will know that it will last very very long. Used engines? You don't know if they will develop the same problem tomorrow.

·
Registered
2000 DTS
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

When the coolant level is low, the water pump is being fed air from the reservoir and that air will not transfer much heat from the engine or into the heater core.

I'm one of those who refuse to jump to the thermostat or water pump or headgasket conclusion based on "not enough information".

Confirm your coolant level in the reservoir is correct !!
Where is the purge line at?

·
Registered
2000 DTS
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The purge line is the 3/8" line that runs from the water pump to the surge tank.
I filled the tank up then ran the car for a while and opened the purge line but nothing came out. No air or anti-freeze came out of the purge line, so does this mean blockage? The antifreeze did come out of the other line in the reservoir tank. What does that mean?

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,954 Posts
If the purge line is clogged it can cause the engine to overheat. Pull the line and check for an obstruction. Usually the obstruction is in the hollow bolt that the line connects to at the water pump.

Not sure what line you mean on the tank, but if it is below the coolant level it surely will drain. The purge line enters the tank at the top, above the coolant level. It should spit or flow coolant as soon as it is started. Better to check it cold so as not to burn yourself.

P.S.
When you said "filled the tank up", I hope you meant only half full.

·
Registered
2000 DTS
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If the purge line is clogged it can cause the engine to overheat. Pull the line and check for an obstruction. Usually the obstruction is in the hollow bolt that the line connects to at the water pump.

Not sure what line you mean on the tank, but if it is below the coolant level it surely will drain. The purge line enters the tank at the top, above the coolant level. It should spit or flow coolant as soon as it is started. Better to check it cold so as not to burn yourself.

P.S.
When you said "filled the tank up", I hope you meant only half full.
After reading tons of posts on this site I think it is the HG. I need to find a shop that can fix this the correct way with timeserts. I can get a engine for $1650 with 80,000 miles but it could happen again. My car has 105,000. What would you do? Get the engine or try your luck with someone to fix it correctly? I live in Michigan, Grand Rapids Michigan. *sigh*

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,954 Posts
It seems all junkyard engine have 60 - 80K on them. Wonder what they do with all the high mileage motors.:hmm: A used motor is a crap shoot. Might last forever. Might have the same problem in a month. Then you have to do it all over again. I'd fix what you have and know it will last. Just be sure whoever does it has been there before and knows what they are doing, but don't jump to conclusions. Open up that purge line first.

·
Registered
Many! I currently own & operate MIDWEST CADILLAC REPAIR
93 Posts
After reading tons of posts on this site I think it is the HG. I need to find a shop that can fix this the correct way with timeserts. I can get a engine for $1650 with 80,000 miles but it could happen again. My car has 105,000. What would you do? Get the engine or try your luck with someone to fix it correctly? I live in Michigan, Grand Rapids Michigan. *sigh*
I am in illinois and probably too far away to help you but if i can let me know. Whatever you do make sure it gets inserts or studs . And i would not suggest timeserts. Check out my website www.midwestcadillacrepair.com too see the difference in the inserts

1 - 20 of 27 Posts