Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Sedan Deville, 85 ElCamino
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a humming noise in the drivetrain. It is constant as long as the car is rolling and changes pitch with the cars speed. Worse around 50-55 mph. I am sure it's in the drivetrain and not the engine. Both half shaft assemblies were changed recently (160K miles) due to leaking boots. hard to tell exactly where noise is comming from. Sounds more centered but could be comming from the passenger side. I am hoping it's a bad hub bearing, (easy fix) but wonder if it could be in the transaxle $$$$$. Any thoughts are appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,118 Posts
Sounds like a hub bearing to me. Do some "S" turns like a NASCAR driver warming his tires. Does the sound come and go? If it is a bearing it will get louder when you load that bearing and quieter when you unload it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response Ranger. I tried the S turns and it made no appreciable difference in the sound. Tried it at several speeds too, but no change. I pulled the hub off a while ago, and it feels a little rough so I will get a new one as soon as I finish here, and hope it does the job.

·
Super Moderator
87,118 Posts
I'm surprised that the sound did not change, but if it is rough, that's a pretty good sign. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It had me scratching my head for a while, but the hub was it. Put the new one on and the noise is gone. It sure didn't act like a bad bearing usually does. Thanks for your interest.

·
Registered
2000 deville
8 Posts
My 2000 deville makes a noise that gets louder as you go faster with turns making no difference? Mechanic said it reminded him of something stuck in the tire but no such luck? They said they don't know what it is and couldn't help me. It starts as you move forward and goes faster as you drive and drops down as you slow down. I tried to put the tranny in neitral butit made no difference? Do any of you guys have an idea. It almost sounds like it's coming from the middle front or a little to the right.
thanks,
Tony

·
Super Moderator
87,118 Posts
Sure sounds like a bad tire (depending on the noise). How old are they? Pretty much has to be a tire or bearing.

·
Registered
2000 deville
8 Posts
The mechanics that looked at it were a tire store and that's what they sadi first but the tires are OK Michelins with plenty of tread and no change when swerving like nascar? They wondered if it could be the tranny?
Thanks for your response,
Tony

·
Super Moderator
87,118 Posts
I tried to put the tranny in neitral butit made no difference?
I'm no trans expert, but that would seem to rule out the trans to me. Maybe the inboard axle bearing (though not a common failure)? Might be time for a trans expert to look and listen to it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts