Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Sedan Deville, 85 ElCamino
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My digital display is dim during the day and nearly impossible to see. At night it appears to be OK and the brightness can be varied with the control knob. If I turn off the twilight sentinal, I get the headlights recommended message. In otherword, everything seems to be working except during the daylight when the display cannot be brightened. Can I fix this?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,024 Posts
Do you have RainSense wipers? If so, is the stalk in the "Interval" position ?

Is there anything placed over the sun sensor on the left side of the defroster grille area ? Look down through the windshield into the small hole - there should be a lens down in there, about 1/8" down.

·
Registered
2000 Sedan Deville, 85 ElCamino
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response submariner409. No Rain Sense wipers, and nothing on the dash, ever! I don'r see anything other than the the dome shaped sensor in the middle of the grille below the rear view mirror. The owners manual calls it the sensor for the DRL and Twilight Sentinel. I looked into the defroster grill from the outside but didnt see anything like you descried. Is the left side the driver's side?

·
Administrator
71,024 Posts
If the dome is also the Sentinel, then you're OK. The later models have another, separate Sentinel sensor lens down in a hole in the driver's side of the defroster grille assembly. The sensor sometimes gets pushed down into the dash area due to over zealous car wash attendants.

One of the electrical wizards will chime in.........

·
Registered
2011 CTS4 Premium, Saturn Vue XR
493 Posts
Usually if the dash is dim means your headlights are on. There is a two stage system to these headlights. During the day (if you have)daytime running lamps on..dash bright, if lights go on due to stormy weather the dash is still bright. Nighttime lights on...dash dims to prevent glare. Sounds like there is a module that controls this action, it all works by sensor on the dash and is automatic unless you override the sentinel or manually switch lights on.

·
Administrator
71,024 Posts
If you have an owner's manual, take a look and see if it mentions a Parade Feature for the headlights - it's a module that prevents the dash from going dim during daylight when the headlights are turned on. That may be a place to start........

1 - 6 of 6 Posts