Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 Deville won't start in morning.

I just changed the battery in December. It only does it first thing in the morning. The rest of the day it will start and run with no problems. Usually we can get it started if we cycle through the gears. But even that is starting to not want to work. Wasn't sure if it could be the safety neutral switch or ignition itself?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,494 Posts
Re: 2000 Deville won't start in morning.

For a start, study the proper year/model group of instructions in the link - your car has its own built-in diagnostic monitoring system - there may be something there. When you write down your list of found trouble codes, return to the link to open the new link to all OBD-II code definitions. Write down the definitions for your codes and post it all here.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-engines-system-technical-discussion/53635-how-pull-codes-dtcs.html

You might want to rent a fuel pressure test set from a large parts store. There's a test port on the fuel rail, black plastic cap. Under the engine beauty cover. Fuel pressure at Key: ON should rise to 41 - 47 psi. Running - over 40.

Check the FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator) for operation and leaks - carefully pull the vacuum line rubber connector off the nipple - any raw gas in the line or nipple is replacement time. NAPA or RockAuto. It's a Robert Bosch (Germany) part.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,789 Posts

Define "not starting".
Does it crank and not start, or simply not even crank?

·
Super Moderator
86,789 Posts

You have a bad connection somewhere. If there is no corrosion on the battery cables, try using a jumper cable as a test to make a redundant ground and see if that helps.

P.S.
I had that happen once many, many moons ago. After pulling the starter 3 times I found out that my "new" battery had a dead cell. Check you battery voltage both static and while cranking (load test). Bottom line is, if the symptoms point to a weak battery, do not overlook it simply because it is new. Check it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Replaced the battery. Read codes and looks like both crankshaft position sensors are bad. There were 2 codes for the torque converter too.

·
Super Moderator
86,789 Posts

Based on post #4, that is a possibility. Have you tried holding the key in the start positions and wiggling the shifter and/or moving it through the gears?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tested the park/neutral switch and that's not it. Now something is draining the life out of my new battery. I am selling this car or maybe just dumping it off for scrap.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Won't crank at all. There's absolutely nothing. No clicking nothing. Something is draining the battery. This is the second battery in less that a month. I can't do codes because there is no display.

·
Super Moderator
86,789 Posts

No sense in further diagnosis then.

·
Registered
1996 STS 2000 Deville
310 Posts
Re: 2000 Deville

Sounds like you have a bad ground..I have the same year and model as you..The motor mounts go bad on these cars causing a few things to be stressed from excessive motor movement..one of those being the ground wire..Take a set of jumper cables and put them on 2 different body parts ( I used top strut bolts) and then put the other ends on 2 different engine places..May solve your problem..If that works you can either change out your ground wire ( pain in the ass) or make a few new grounds like I did...5 years and no problems..

·
Super Moderator
86,789 Posts
I would use one cable and make a redundant ground. Run it from the negative battery terminal to a good ground (like the strut bolt) completely bypassing the negative cable. If that starts the car, you have a bad ground cable or connection.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts