Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2000 Deville. Leaks on back side of engine runs down from wherever and hits transmission pan and oil pan....grrrrrr... Cant find the leak.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,315 Posts
If by "back side of the engine" you mean the firewall side, which would be the right side, check the two heater pipes running along the right bank head. Not much room to access them, but they are known to rust and leak.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you ! I will try to check that out. I live in Arkansas and it just got cold and my husband died in March and I don't have a a lot of money to be taking it to a shop.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a similar leak on my 1996 Eldorado. It turns out to be coming from the rear/upper coolant crossover port where it mounts to the head. The coolant leak flow goes under the intake manifold and out through a small drain hole in the block that's under the starter motor. From there it leaks down the back of the block between the flywheel and out the bottom. Was only able to actually see it's source with one of those fiber optic inspection cameras, poked under the intake manifold.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would like to be able to see where mine is coming from so I can fix it. Frustrates me to no end.!!!!

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,188 Posts
Frances, Either you and/or a gearhead assistant rent a cooling system pressure tester from a parts store. With the engine cold and the surge tank at or just above the FULL COLD mark, pressurize the cooling system to about 20 pounds, remove the engine beauty cover and wait a few minutes. If all's well the pressure should hold - then, using a good flashlight or drop light, start looking for leaks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It starts dripping out soon as you get the reservoir full. It drips. When you start it up it it drips heavier. I will rent one of those and see what happens.Maybe it will blow a hose off , then I know for sure which hose it is.

·
Administrator
67,188 Posts
The "reservoir" (surge tank) is NOT supposed to be full. About half full, cold - about at the tank mid-seam. That creates the airspace that is compressed by the warming/expanding coolant to pressurize the system - which raises the coolant boil point and makes the water pump more efficient (because of the pressure)

Look closely at the top of the surge tank - see that FULL COLD legend? There's also a flat arrow molded there - it goes over and down the side of the surge tank to the mid-seam.

Overfill it and it WILL drip and blow off coolant - guaranteed - every time.

Is the coolant overflow hose in place and hanging down toward the ground - open end ?

Deville 2000 reservoir tankside.jpg

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,315 Posts
IF, as Sub said, it is venting the excess and you are refilling it every time it goes down, you are chasing your tail. If that is the case, just let it seek it's own level and watch it. If the "leak" stops, you have found your "problem" and it is self inflicted. If that is the case, where the coolant level stops venting is the absolute max that you can fill it to. It'll puke out the excess. Kind of like filling a glass to the brim. Any excess is going to overflow. Just be sure to leave an inch or so of headspace. IF the leak persists, THEN start checking the above mentioned ideas.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The "reservoir" (surge tank) is NOT supposed to be full. About half full, cold - about at the tank mid-seam. That creates the airspace that is compressed by the warming/expanding coolant to pressurize the system - which raises the coolant boil point and makes the water pump more efficient (because of the pressure)

Look closely at the top of the surge tank - see that FULL COLD legend? There's also a flat arrow molded there - it goes over and down the side of the surge tank to the mid-seam.

Overfill it and it WILL drip and blow off coolant - guaranteed - every time.

Is the coolant overflow hose in place and hanging down toward the ground - open end ?

View attachment 574166
Yes everything is in order .

·
Administrator
67,188 Posts
NO !!!! Repair the leak. Excessive use of sealants or stop-leaks is a sure way to clog the cooling system in a Northstar. Please read the GM/Cadillac TSB on specifically this problem.

·
Super Moderator SEMPER PARATUS
2003 DeVille Base
4,502 Posts
Thank you. Thats what I am going to do. Do you have any idea what black flakes of paint are in radiator.
At some point, you'll regret using stop leak additives. They can make the problem severely worse. GM stopped recommending the sealant tabs several years ago.

·
Administrator
67,188 Posts
I smell a shill or a scammer.

EDIT: After a quick search through the website link provided it became obvious that the "new member" was, in fact, the owner of an online product recommendation blog site located in Ukraine.

Spam cleaned.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts