Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Deville
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
From my 2000 Base Deville with 56k miles:
Is this green goo(which is everywhere in wheel well) from the lower control arm bushing?
Pic is from the LF lower control arm, I assumed the bushing would be rubber, so I'm somewhat confused.

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge about this bushing? Is it replaceable or is a new aluminum control arm the only option?

Thanks

·
Registered
2000 Deville
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ranger!

I haven't removed the tire to inspect it yet. I just had the wheel turned to take the pics.
Do these outer boots ever pop off or is it always a tear?
56K miles seems a little premature for rubber tearing unless i ran over something.
For a second i thought I had found the reason for the harsh ride!
I really need to get a FSM on this vehicle, the alldata info is less than stellar for things like this.
I'm sure i could replace it but I wouldn't have the crimping tool for the oem clamps.
Not sure if other metal clamps would suffice or just be the cause of another future tear in the boot.
thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,551 Posts
56K is a bit premature. No, I've never seen one slip off. They are clamped pretty good. I suppose you might get away with a big hose clamp. Seems to me I did that once. A large size wire tie might do the job as well if you pull it tight enough. I once replaced one. It is easier to just replace the half shaft. Not much more expensive either as I recall.

·
Registered
2000 Deville
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ranger,
Have you ever heard of repairing a torn cv boot with the aftermkt Mecatech product?
Looks interesting albeit a little pricey for the kit, but there's no split boot to seal.

http://www.mecatech.co.uk/soufflet_en.htm

Been re-tracing my steps leading up to this situation.
I did for the first time use a very high pressured automated carwash for the first time, the same day i noticed the lube in the wheelwell. I chose the option for high pressure under-body spray.
Might that been the cause?

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,551 Posts
It would take a very high pressure wash to rip it. Anything is possible I suppose. Hard to say. As far as that repair goes ,I don't know. Something just rubs me wrong about it.

·
Registered
95 sedan deville
113 Posts
Ranger,
Have you ever heard of repairing a torn cv boot with the aftermkt Mecatech product?
Looks interesting albeit a little pricey for the kit, but there's no split boot to seal.

http://www.mecatech.co.uk/soufflet_en.htm

Been re-tracing my steps leading up to this situation.
I did for the first time use a very high pressured automated carwash for the first time, the same day i noticed the lube in the wheelwell. I chose the option for high pressure under-body spray.
Might that been the cause?

first off...no way in gods green earth some under body hi pressure spray ripped that boot....I was and owned a detail shop for YEARS and never managed that one...so thats ruled out...only things that actually caused tears in any of my boots was high speed turns (screeching the tires for example) and plain old age. I havent read if you picked this car up new or used...but if used....more than likely it was totally properly cared for.

On those mechatech boots deals....dunno but they look like they would work...in reality thats all you gotta do is replace the worn/ripped boot and put in some grease ( I pack the shizz outta mine when I am doing em)

I have used some zip ties before to tie lock mine...you can also you use whats called a panduit strap (basically one HUGE zip tie) thats from a any local AC company (house AC....not car AC) and at any home depot or metal fab shop that makes sheet metal for AC...they will have a PANDUIT gun....it will pull that strap tighter than you ever possibly could on your own hands even with pliers and such...and has a nifty llil razor built in to cut the excess off with. Works great and done it many time in the past.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
2000 Deville
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Ranger & mysedan.

If it's the outer cv boot, I really wouldn't need the mecatech option would I? The new oem replacement should just slide right on, or am I missing something?

I haven't been able to get the car in the garage and on a lift since it's currently in use by a family member.

Thanks for that panduit info, I could find a multitude of uses for that thing.

I may order the struts, coils, and mounts and do it all at once. I have to get that car riding more like a caddy is supposed to ride. If that doesn't do the trick, I'm seriously going to consider selling it before the mileage gets too high.

I was hoping a VIN check on the history(other thread) might give me some insight to what's been done to the suspension by the PO.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,551 Posts
Thanks Ranger & mysedan.

If it's the outer cv boot, I really wouldn't need the mecatech option would I? The new oem replacement should just slide right on, or am I missing something?

I haven't been able to get the car in the garage and on a lift since it's currently in use by a family member.

Thanks for that panduit info, I could find a multitude of uses for that thing.

I may order the struts, coils, and mounts and do it all at once. I have to get that car riding more like a caddy is supposed to ride. If that doesn't do the trick, I'm seriously going to consider selling it before the mileage gets too high.

I was hoping a VIN check on the history(other thread) might give me some insight to what's been done to the suspension by the PO.
Yes it slides right on, but you have to separate the CV joint. I think you need a very large snap ring pliers. I "helped" my mechanic neighbor do do one for me many years ago and all I remember is that it was a tedious and filthy job. Grease to our elbows. NEVER AGAIN!

·
Registered
95 sedan deville
113 Posts
yea CV boots change suck for sure....did many hondas in the past and those are easy....theory is still the same though....I being as anal as I am...changed the inners and outers both on both sides on my cars (easy insurance since I am already in there...hate that clacking that comes up)

Glad you found some sue for the panduits...they are great and I always keep some handy in everything I drive...one time I even fixed a guys Harley on the side of the road with one to get him back to town (shifter rod actuator came apart...I strapped it together and followed him back to town...he made it just fine....LOL!)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts