Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a couple months ago i had a diagnostic cuz my car kept cutting off on me.
well my car shut off while in the middle lane in morning traffic but luckily i had enough momentum to reach the shoulder.

two of the errors that popped up is the fuel sensor(now i don't know how much gas i have)

and a map sensor ( i replaced the sensor already)

i didnt replace the fuel sensor because i heard it will cost atleast a 1000.00 to replace and i dont have the money right now to replace it.

does anyone know if the fuel sensor can be the cause of the car cutting off?

at first thought it was the crankshaft sensor but that did not show up on the diag test.

any thoughts
thanks

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,133 Posts
:confused: The same year series of Sevilles had a recall for fuel tank sensors...seems that tank pressure, level, pump control, and a couple of others are contained in the "cartridge" which drops into the top of the tank. Have your local dealer pull the service/recall history on your VIN to see if the recall(s) were performed. I believe recalls don't expire (hopefully for you...) You might get away with finding the connectors in the harness and cleaning the pin/socket areas.......

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i thought it was the ckp also but that code didnt show up.

would the faulty fuel sensor cause my car to shut off?

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
If the faulty fuel sender caused you to believe you had gas when you didn't that could certainly shut the car down. Use the "Fuel Used" function of the trip computer to monitor your gas usage and reset it everytime you fill up. It does not run off the fuel level sensor and has been reliable for me. The gauge on my 99 never reads below half.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,996 Posts
A faulty CKP sensor will not always set a DTC. Change them both. Your symptoms are classic and the 2000 - 2002 are notorious for that.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i know i had gas left cuz my meter is sort of opposite, if it shows full it really empty, its wierd but i know i had atleast 100 miles left.
and its only accurate when i have more than half of my gas tank full.

thanks for your opinions
well imma take it to the shop in the next few days and see what they say.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well i had another diag done. But i have a question, after i installed the map sensor , i did not reset the errors, could that be a reason why the car stops?

Anyway , the only two errors that showed up are fuel level sensor and the engine stall code.

I was told it was going to cost 200 for the sensor and 300 to install it.

He also suggested paying 400 for the assembly :sensor , fuel pump, etc.
same for installing.

I was really hopin ck sensor would show up but no luck.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,996 Posts
Well i had another diag done. But i have a question, after i installed the map sensor , i did not reset the errors, could that be a reason why the car stops?
No. If the problem was fixed, but the code was not cleared it will go into history after 3 ignition cycles with no failure detected.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts