Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never had a problem starting and volts are always around 13.6-14.3 until today.:confused:
Car started great as usual. Dove 10 miles and shut it off. Four hours latter it would only click. Tried to jump start and it would make a click, click, click noise. Pulled the back seat, looked brand new under the seat. Touched the positive post and it fell off in my hand. The post had broken away from the battery for no reason.
Hooked another battery up directly to the battery ends via jumper cables and it still makes a rapid clicking sound when you hit the ignition. I can see the front pulley moving very slowly.
Do I just need a new battery, or a starter and a battery?

·
Registered
99STS,2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade,98 Deville RIP
1,054 Posts
I would try to put a new battery in if the old one cannot be fixed. Your jumper cables may not not have been thick enough to transmit the power and the old battery may not have had a good enough charge to assist the other battery that you used. I could be wrong but in my opinion a seven year old car should not be needing a starter motor especially one that is as well protected as the northstar starter is.

·
Registered
Cadillac
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Caddy Shack for your reply. I feel the same as you about the jumper cables loosing juice. The car only has 52,000 miles on a 2000 Deville. Warranty is out on the battery and they are not cheap :crybaby:. Going to pick one up today at Auto Zone. Thanks again.
Justin

·
Registered
Cadillac
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is weird. Pulled the back seat to access the battery. It looked show room new. No corrosion, dirt, dust I mean brand new. I had hooked heavy cables to the ground and started to pull the cap off the positive terminal. When I touched the plastic cap the terminal fell off exposing the inside of the battery. The lead terminal had come off of the battery. No corrosion, it just fell off.
Bought a new battery and it fired right off.

·
Registered
Cadillac
2 Posts
Exact same issue on my 2000 DHS. Parked car. Returned to clicking. Jumper cables also just clicking. Pulled back seat and the positive terminal fell off battery with hunk of plastic welded to terminal bolt. Some corrosion and what appeared to be water below battery in floor pan. New battery solved starting problem. Most batteries different than Delco. Vent tubes might not fit as well. Radio issues after clicking/jumping. No volume control or DPS. Acts goofy. Any ideas as to what happened to my Bose radio due to jumping etc.?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts