Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 DeVille's AC clicks when I first start it. It usually lasts for about 15 seconds, then it stops for about five seconds and and starts again, lasting for about 10 seconds. Everything is fine after that. It seems to happen when outside temps are above 68 degrees. Any thoughts? Could it be vent gears slipping?

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Does it come from the driver side or passenger side.
I forget what years, but on some of the newer ones (which may include 2000) the mode door actuator starts making a noise like that.
It's quite hard to replace also due to the location they chose to install it in.
You will find it in the area in front of the driver, straight back towards your knee and in front of the accelerator pedal.
If the noise sounds like it's in that area, it's probably the actuator I am talking about.

I know an "easy" way to replace it but it is still hard to access and you have to be careful.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ewill3rd,
That's exactly where the noise is coming from. So what's the "easy" way to replace it? What kind of cost am I looking at?
Thanks for your help!
Bill

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Well as far as the price of the part goes, I am not sure but I think they are a little pricey. It might be 75 bucks but it might be 175, I don't recall.
They don't let me have anything to do with money at work!

After you remove the hush panel, you can look up in there, back towards the radio/hvac control up high you'll see the actuator.
The new one comes with a big plate on it and a cam looking device, DON'T REMOVE that from the car!!
The trick is to only take out the 2 5.5mm head screws that hold the actuator to the cam plate. Then pry them apart.
Do the same to the one in the car. Then line up the new actuator to the old cam plate and put the screws back in. If you remove the actuator with the plate you'll never get the doors timed properly.
Technically the service procedure calls for the removal of the dash to access the actuator.
Remember there are two actuators up there, you want to replace the one closer to the driver. The other one is easy to get off if you want to take it out of the way but don't mix them up.

It's still no fun to do.
I did one the hard way a few weeks ago, and I had to do it twice because I mistimed the doors on reassembly. I hope you never experience that.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
You are more than welcome.

BTW, you might want to look up there before you go buy the part.
There is a part number on a barcode label on the side of that actuator.
Sometimes they need the part number to be sure you get the right actuator.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts