Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Deville & 2005 CTS
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 2000 Deville with about 96,000 miles on it and 2 days ago while driving it, the ABS and TRACTION CONTROL lights lit up in yellow and has remained on since then.

When I start the car, after the bulbs check is done, the ABS and TRACTION CONTROL remains lit the whole time.

Traction control won't engage.

Today I took all the wheels off and checked each wheel hub speed sensor connectors and all look fine and no breaks or defects seen in them.
Used compressed air to clear out brake dust and the wheel hub and it didn't help.

I even checked the ABS fuse and all of the fuses and none of them are blown.

Even tried disconnecting the battery, wait a few mins and reconnecting it with no luck

When I took it out for a test drive, I slam on the brakes from about 30-40 mph, the tires lock up and tire smoke comes out.

It seems like there's a hard fault in the system as it's still displayed even before the car is driven.

What else do I check or how do I fix this other than taking it to the dealer as a last resort?

·
Registered
99STS,2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade,98 Deville RIP
1,054 Posts
A good start would be to pull the codes from the DIC, on the top of the forum there are stickies on how to pull the codes. These systems are too complex to give you a good idea on what to look for. Post back with the codes.

·
Registered
1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS
1,694 Posts
10 to 1 says its got a DTC of C1214 "System Relay Contact Shorted or Open" and your EBCM is toast.

·
Registered
2000 Deville & 2005 CTS
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Caddyshack100 thanks for the info, I didn't know you could pull the codes from the dash without a OBDII scan tool :thumbsup:

The codes I got related to the ABS system:
C1228 History
C1235 Current

C1228 - Right Rear Excessive Wheel Speed Variation
C1235 - Right Rear Wheel Speed Circuit Open or Shorted

Looks like the right rear wheel speed sensor went kaput. Off to my bro's shop to order a new wheel hub with the speed sensor in it.

Mark C where's my bet now? :lildevil:

·
Registered
2000 Deville & 2005 CTS
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Glad to help, but that hub and bearing, ouch... expensive
Costs $170 and will be here tomorrow.

I had to replace the right front bearing hub a few years ago because when you go to 70mph and hold it there, it made a costant droning noise.

Thought it was the old tires but bro installed new ones on it but turns out it wasn't it....noise was still there....it was the bearing.
Took some time to find it and hearing it's coming from the front, it was more from coming the right side but was hard to tell.

The GM service manual stated the strut had to come out to replace the bearing hub...looked like more work for a simple bearing hub replacement. I didn't have to remove the strut.
What I did was:
Put front end on jackstands
Remove front tire
remove brake caliper and hang it with bungee cord, remove pads and the brake bracket;
disconnect the ball-joint bolt and leave the nut on there, lightly tap it with a hammer and it disconnects and hangs on the nut, place jack under front a-arm...remove the nut and slowly let down the a-arm unloading the suspension.
Using a impact gun and a big socket, remove the nut holding the front axles ends onto the brake rotor, remove the brake rotor. Disconnect the ABS/TCS connection plug to the bearing hub.
Tilt the assembly towards you and use a thin walled snap-on socket to remove the bolts, it just fits in there with very little room to spare....there are only 3 bolts holding the hub on.
The bearing hub is now off the car.

Installing the new hub is simple as going reverse of removing it.

Costed $230 for the front one and you had to indicate you have ABS otherwise it won't come with the speed sensor :rolleyes:

·
Registered
99STS,2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade,98 Deville RIP
1,054 Posts
170 for a rear bearing is a great price, up here its double that, I admit that when Mark c made his bet on the EBTCM, I would have taken it, my instinct was also to blame that component, they are more prone to failure for different reasons, grounds..etc and living in NY you know all about crap weather.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I'd rather replace the EBCM. 1 Hr job and you can get them used all day for about 50 bucks. Just did mine about a month ago after having the ABS/TC lights off and on for about 3 months before they finally stayed on permanently last September.

·
Registered
2000 Deville & 2005 CTS
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just picked up the new wheel hub for the right rear on the way home from work today...the price is $135 and not $170 which is what the supplier told them.

·
Registered
2000 Deville & 2005 CTS
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd rather replace the EBCM. 1 Hr job and you can get them used all day for about 50 bucks. Just did mine about a month ago after having the ABS/TC lights off and on for about 3 months before they finally stayed on permanently last September.
Why would you replace the EBCM if there's no fault codes or history related to it? It's apparent that the wheel speed sensor is bad.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Relates to my bet way up at the top of the thread as to what code he would find as a problem.

The EBTMs are famous for failing on these cars, especially in areas that use salt on their roads or right after a waterpump job if you spill water on them. Plus its a way easier job. Since it wasn't a pthe problem theres no need to replace it.

·
Registered
2000 Deville & 2005 CTS
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Went to replace the wheel hub today; before I went ahead, I disconnected the connector and plugged it into the new one...started it up and the ABS and Traction Control lights went out.

So here comes in removing the old wheel hub...got the brake bracket and rotor off, then removed all 4 bolts holding the hub to the aluminum lower arm. When I was trying to remove the old hub, I noticed it had about 1/4" play in all directions...pretty sure the bearing was shot and who knows it could have failed and the wheel could've flown off the car down the highway.

I had to use a sledge hammer with a 4 foot pole to work the old hub out, it was basically rusted/corroded to the aluminum lower arm....damn NY road salt.

New hub wouldn't fit til I used sandpaper to clean up the opening and was able to tap it into place. Put everything together and all is good now!

Gonna check the opposite wheel as a precaution to make sure the bearing hub doesn't have excessive play.

·
Registered
DHS
1 Posts
DIC Codes (Was 2000 Deville ABS/Traction control fault)

I saw some stickies that lised the codes but I did not see one on how toi pull the codes. Can you direct me to the stickies that describe how to pull the codes from the DIC? I have a 2000 Deville DHS.

A good start would be to pull the codes from the DIC, on the top of the forum there are stickies on how to pull the codes.

·
Registered
2000 Deville & 2005 CTS
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: DIC Codes (Was 2000 Deville ABS/Traction control fault)

I saw some stickies that lised the codes but I did not see one on how toi pull the codes. Can you direct me to the stickies that describe how to pull the codes from the DIC? I have a 2000 Deville DHS.

Start the car, press and hold down both of these buttons "Info" and the '^' buttons until the bulb check comes up (all lights turns red and all readout fills in) then it will come up with a menu to pull the codes...ie systems, active codes, history codes....etc

·
Registered
2000 deville
6 Posts
I have a 2000 deville also with a 1224 and 1228 code. Can you replace just the sensor and not the wheel bearing. They have just the sensor on rockauto for $35. ? Thanks for the help

·
Registered
04 Deville, 11 DTS Premium, 00 Deville (sold), 02 Deville (sold)
2,688 Posts
You can't replace just the wheel speed sensor... it's part of the entire wheel hub assembly.

·
Registered
04 Deville, 11 DTS Premium, 00 Deville (sold), 02 Deville (sold)
2,688 Posts
Below is a picture of a Timken 513121 Front Hub assembly. I replaced one on my 2000 Deville a couple of months ago. The speed sensor is part of the unit it is not replaceable separately on almost all Deville's.

I believe the separate speed sensors that you are seeing on RockAuto are for Deville's that are equiped with the Heavy Duty Brakes. Heavy Duty brakes come on Deville's that are equipped with the Limo or Hearse packages. Unless your driving one of them you would be wasting your time and money ordering a speed sensor.

Also before you order a new hub I would disconnect and clean the electrical connector... this has worked for some people in the past.

·
Registered
2000 deville
6 Posts
Thanks for the info. I see were the confusion is now. I was asking about a rear sensor not the front.(Replaced both of those last month also.) Any info on the rear sensor is that servicable? I took the wheel off today and saw the sensor, but couldn't see if I could remove it without taking the rotor off. Thanks again for all the help.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts