Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1996 AND 2000 CADILLAC DEVILLE
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help. I took my car in for an inspection and was told that my front wheel hub, inner/outer rod, and front motor mount needs to be replaced. I replaced my front wheel hub and inner/out tie rod and got an alignment but i still hear the popping noise during the initial phrase of accelerating and when coming to a complete stop. I really do not want to replace the front motor mount because i was told you have to drop the motor. Is this sound related to the front motor mount? What else could it possibly be? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,802 Posts
You don't have to drop the engine to replace the front center mount, but you do need jacks, stands, and room to support the engine/transmission and work on the mount.

The pops may be the strut upper mount/bearing or the steering intermediate shaft. Cadillac Tech Tips and maybe Discussions; Suspension.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay Thanks. I will replace the front motor mount and strut upper mount/bearing. Since i am doing the front motor mount and strut upper mount/ bearing is there anything else recommended that I should go ahead and replace in the vicinity since i am already working in those areas? The car has 179000 miles on it.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,177 Posts
I would suggest changing the CKP sensors, but it is very doubtful at that year & mileage) that they are original.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,840 Posts
Okay Thanks. I will replace the front motor mount and strut upper mount/bearing. Since i am doing the front motor mount and strut upper mount/ bearing is there anything else recommended that I should go ahead and replace in the vicinity since i am already working in those areas? The car has 179000 miles on it.
===========================
with 180K miles - the struts have GOT to be worn out - if original -

replacing the strut bearings is ALL the work of replacing the strut -
but - without actually replacing the strut -

new struts are not that expensive -
I recommend the MONROE 71685 -
the best "normal" deal is $62 each - with free shipping -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CG8EFK/?ie=UTF8&me=A1ATZ3MAARQNEF

HOWEVER -

I found a KILLER deal on ebay - $37.87 each - with free shipping -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291186038170?rmvSB=true#viTabs_0

·
Registered
Devilles: 04 Base,01 base,01 DHS,92 (parents)
211 Posts
That is a great price. so if I'm going to need a new set of front struts on my 2001 in the next 50,000 miles I should probably get these now at that price? Or might there be more close out deals on new struts in future?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good morning all, So i replaced my both of struts and i still can hear the noise. While replacing the passenger side strut I noticed my cv boot was separated. So im guessing its pretty much no question that the noise i was hearing from my driver side is my passenger side cv axle. I am headed to auto zone to purchase a new one today and will instal it a hobby shop. Fairly easy job right? Also I will replace my front motor mount, please tell me the replacing of the Seville motor mount is the exact same process for 00 deville. My engine is a 4.6 and the Haynes manuals wants me to remove cooling fans. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,802 Posts
Two things to do before you start work -

1. Use the Haynes to mop up oil spills - get a real GM/Helm service manual set from eBay or www.helminc.com, or, for instant gratification subscribe your car(s) to www.alldatadiy.com

2. Buy shop rags and hand cleaner from AutoZone. Nothing else.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,840 Posts
I am headed to auto zone to purchase a new one
I wouldn't buy any autozone branded parts -
pure cheap junk -

the Haynes manuals wants me to remove cooling fans
ya - and probably the rear license plate too -

haynes - chiltons - and the counterfeit CD on ebay are worthless -

1 - 10 of 10 Posts