Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The check engine came on last week and did a scan. It read as possible cause O2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1, heater circuit control. Right after this happened there has been some issues with antifreeze too. We have to fill up the anitfreeze tank every other day. Took it to the mechanic and could not find any leaks, did a pressure check and everything was fine. Could the sensor cause this problem? I'm thinking there could be a possiblity that the anitfreeze is evaporating.

Which side is bank 1 and where is the sensor located on the catera? Any ideas what could be the problem?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2000 Catera Sport
390 Posts
found this on Google:
Bank 1 (cyl. 1-3-5 passenger side) Sensor 1 (first sensor from engine) is accessible from under car. It is located just before the catalytic converter.

And no that wont cause the coolant to disappear. I had the same coolant problem. no leaks and even pressure tests showed no pressure loss but it still ended up being a bad head gasket along with a warped head. If your coolant is disappearing and you have no drips or wetness on any part of the engine, you can pretty much be sure its leaking internally. I had to take my car in about 7 times before they finally figured out it was the H.G.

I think leaky head gaskets are common on this car as well as a number of other coolant leaks in the motor area. If it wasnt for Coolant leaks, I'd have no prob with this beast. ha! Good luck

·
Registered
2000 catera
48 Posts
check fuse 40 im pretty sure thats what its called, its in the engine bay in the main fuse compartment when mine blew it tossed that code.

·
Registered
Cadillac
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the headgaskets located under the black covers (both sides) right under the intake manifold and where the plugs are? let me know.

Thanks.

·
Registered
Cadillac
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another question, will the coolant leak through the valve cover gaskets? I see residues on both sides of the valve cover gaskets.

Let me know!!!

Thanks.

·
Registered
1999 Catera Sport
677 Posts
they were mentioning a head gasket. what you're explaining is a valve cover gasket. the only think it's going to leak is oil. I think I understood your question correctly.

·
Registered
Cadillac
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes you are right, but I wanted to make sure that coolant does not leak through the valve cover gaskets.

·
Registered
Cadillac
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just found out it may be the heater control valve as I see coolant dripping from behind the engine.

·
Registered
2000 Catera Sport
390 Posts
Another possibility is the oil cooler/heat exchanger. I currently have this problem and am seeing a few drips from behind the motor and along the sides. If I look up from underneath the car, I can see coolant seaping out from where the heads and block meet on the pass. and driver's side. I also am refilling the coolant tank each month.

Just something else to look for.

Posting to look at:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-catera-cimarron-forum/61614-catera-coolant-leak.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts