Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2000 CATERA
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With only 50K miles, the valves are bent. Timing belt broke. So what to do now? Will not spend another dime in this car, after $5500 in 4 years. At 25K miles, the steering gear box was replaced. Except for the engine, everything else about the car is great! Or at list livable. Looks good, doesn't run. Maybe a buyer out there? Can I get $1000 for it as is? Just venting here. Thanks.

·
Registered
2000 Black Catera Sport
57 Posts
The car is not junk, just needs to be taken care of, being that the car is 10 years old i would have to say you should have already replaced the timing belt on it, then this would have not happened, or mayber buy a new 3.2 engine on ebay for 1800.00

·
Registered
2000 CATERA
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. You're right - the car is not junk, which is why this hurts so much. I've owned the car for 4 years. And with the age of the car, after checking the maintenance schedule, you're also right about should have already changed the timing belt, at 96 months, which should have been 2 years ago, when the mileage was still in the 20-30K range. And when I spent the $5500. Then again, no where in the manual does it state for mileages or whichever comes first, that the steering gear box would have been needing a replacment at 25K miles, or that the turn signal switch was bad, or the air bag sir coil, or the water pump at 20K miles, or the heater valve, or the radiator hose (2nd one), or the serp belt at 20K miles, or the air flow sensor meter, or a computer module (?), or the power windows, or a etc.... It keeps going.

This is not the first vehicle I've owned for many years and common sense and care says one must maintain a vehicle. My other 2 vehicles in this family are 10 and 8 years old respectively, with high miles, and they have been VERY properly maintained and serviced. And they are still VERY reliable vehicles. So I cannot be convinced that its an issue of not taking care of my cars and trucks.

Once again, I am venting my frustration here. Thanks.

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Yes, Carolrg, there is no Santa Claus! You're 2000 Catera is rec-cyclable junk. After what you have spent dump it on some unsuspecting do-it-your-selfer and be done with this can of worms. What's it worth, what ever anyone will pay you for it .... I don't think there is a blue book price for a Catera (or anything else) with a trashed motor. Anthing over "pay us to tow it away" I would think would be attractive!

·
Registered
2000 Black Catera Sport
57 Posts
or part it out to forum members, and then put the rest on ebay was color is the interior of the car, is it a sport or a regular, and where are you located.

Luke

·
Registered
'97 Catera (Ocean)
463 Posts
If I was in the area, I would buy that car for your thousand, spend the 2k to drop a 3.2 in her, and laugh because I have a 220+ hp catera for $3000 bucks!

·
Registered
Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport
1,840 Posts
Be kind. From what she's told us she has a right to be upset. Telling her that she should have taken better care or "laughing" because of the great deal you could be getting at her expense aren't cool. Suggest she fix it or sell it but in a nice way. We all know, or should, that the Catera can be a dog so lets have a little compassion. Next time it could be one of us.

·
Registered
'97 Catera (Ocean)
463 Posts
I apologize for my previous post, it was more in response to the Catera hater that posted above me. I have been through many trials with my Catera, and I have felt that anguish before. I just can't stand ppl who call them junk, especially after all the work that has gone into mine.

·
Registered
Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport
1,840 Posts
Yes, Carolrg, there is no Santa Claus! You're 2000 Catera is rec-cyclable junk. After what you have spent dump it on some unsuspecting do-it-your-selfer and be done with this can of worms. What's it worth, what ever anyone will pay you for it .... I don't think there is a blue book price for a Catera (or anything else) with a trashed motor. Anthing over "pay us to tow it away" I would think would be attractive!
I can't believe I forgot about you, being you're the one that caused me to respond in the first place.

Mr. Orconn,

The Santa crack was a cheap shot. What gives you the right to call our cars recyclable junk? You don't have a clue as to how good a car the Catera is. Keep to your FWD luxo barges. When it comes to the Catera you're talking out of your crapper. Do you just troll around looking for places to stir up trouble? I don't remember you ever posting here before but you show up here and jump on this poor woman when she's down. Does that make you feel superior? Didn't your Mother teach you, "If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all"?

PS: Your Sevilles are so perfect, huh? Did you get the new NorthStar or go with new head gaskets instead?

·
Registered
'97 Catera (Ocean)
463 Posts
I was gonna say it, but I knew someone was going to say something about a HG. Actually, I think he had something to say about my accident.

·
Registered
2000 Black Catera Sport
57 Posts
See the problem is people like orconn think that if you pay next to nothing for a luxury car, that you should never have one problem with it, Wrong, if i went out yesterday and bought a BMW or a mercedes they would cost way more than a catera and have more problems, I work valet part time and you dont know how many bmws and mercedes I drive that are 2 years old and have all the engine lights on and are falling apart, My grandparents had an omega in the uk and loved it, there is nothing wrong with the catera, the problem is the previous owners either trashed them out or decided to let them go to waste. onve my enigne is done i am going to the 3.2 myself, these are fine cars and deserve better treatment.

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Sorry, fellows to get you so riled up. Truth be told I have been here before and hopefully debunking some the negative stuff I have heard both here and on other forums about the Catera. I have owned a 2000 Catera (my wife's business car) for three years back when they were new ...... I have also owned several Jags (new and used) over the years and several other European executice cars. I found the Catera to be a bargain priced Euro exec sedan at its' $31,500 (+ or -) price tag. I wrote at length about my feelings that the Catera was superior to the V-6 Lincoln LS. So I am not a "Catera hater," that being said, as a annuated used car the Catera is apparently a disastrous money pit just waiting to happen. Cadillac's lack of support and rediculous prices for replacemnt parts makes ownership of these cars an apparent exercise in futility. They may suit those who enjoy working out problems on obsolete former Euro exec cruisers, but as a prudent buy for someone looking for cheap transportation they are an unwise decison ... as the reading of a few pages of this forum will confirm.

·
Registered
2000 CATERA
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to all who commented. I honestly appreciate all the posts, positive and negative. I certainly didn't intend on upsetting anyone. GM offered loyalty cash certificate, then downed it by $500 in 2 days time. Isn't that something! And backtracked on their offer of some trade in value. But I'm in a better place than I was.

I am now working on moving/selling this car. $1000/best offer. Truth be told, if someone has the inclination, tools, money and knowledge to rebuild or install a new engine, more power to them. I would sell it in a heartbeat with full disclosure of course. I gotta get my daughter in another car very soon. She is going to school this fall. If anyone out there is in the area close enough, a deal is here to be made. Limited time offer. :) Maryland- DC/Annapolis suburbs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts