Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know there have been problems with older model cateras. But I havnt heard anything bad about the 2000s. Has anyone had any experience on these? Im planning on getting one soon. Let me know. Thanks

Edit: I forgot to mention I would be getting the sport version

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Can anyone help him?? I dont know squat about cateras!!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
~Hello~

I got 97 Catera with 60.ooo in good cond. I had to do quite some service since I got the car. But that is normal to a 4 door sports sedan which is 6 or more years old. Way is that if you service a car well and change all fluids, belts, gaskets, spark plugs, oil and etc's it should take care of you. But its also luck I also heird that their are not luck Catera owners that had lots of problems. To some people something very small to fix is already a big thing since they are use to Toyota Corola like quality. But we are talking about performance luxury sedan here due to that its service I would look at it that way would be more then regular.

What I would do if I where you I would read all the trouble questions on forums at yahoo. Their are some good into about older and new Cateras that would set you up on track.

Good luck

Ls1 Catera project

M

·
0 Posts
Just purchased 2000 Catera Sport-50,000 mi, flawless black on black, spoiler, sunrf, Bose, 17" wheels/Pirrelli P6 etc. etc. After owning and/or leasing 25 or more sports coupes, sedans and roadsters over the last 20 yrs, owning this Catera has been the best; Touring/performance/comfort/sport/grocery getting ride I've ever had! (All for under 11,000...can't buy a new Ford Focus for that.)

·
Registered
None :(
2,703 Posts
2000 and 2001 are the best Cateras. 2000 here. Only problems have been replacing the heater valve (happens on most cateras) and now this odd flaw with the EBTCM which was covered by GM being it just out of warranty.

·
Registered
'87 Jeep, '10 Thruxton, '00 Duc 748, '01 748R (853cc)
3,703 Posts
Never been a big Opel fan even with a GM powertrain, but that just me :rolleyes:. The newer the car, the less problems you should encounter as long as it has been well maintained. You still have to remeber that it is a previously owned vehicle, so you should be prepared for something to break. Have you narrowed your search down to one particular car? If so, how many miles does it have on it. For a 2000, I would expect it to have around 45 to 55k miles at least but not too much more. If it has high mileage (70k+) I would look for another one. If it has average to low mileage than you should look for service records for previous maintenance. This will help you get an idea of how it was maintained and what to look for in the future. Good Luck with your search.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a 2001 and it's had some issues.

Fog Light Housing
PCM
Injector
Power Window Switch
Battery
Tires (premature wear)
Inconsistent shifting

I am not real happy with the things I have had done at only 40,000 miles.

·
Registered
None :(
2,703 Posts
Im sorry to hear that. Those do sound like non-regular catera problems though. I was not expecting to have to be replacing the EBTCM - no car you should have to do this. 2000-01 are still good years... any car can have problems. I do know tire wear can be a problem on any year- and that can also happen on any car too. It depends on what condition the car was before you got it.

Atleast cts owners have problems too :lildevil:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts