Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Deville
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In May of this year we purchased a 2000 Deville(base model) with only 20,000 orig miles.

We've noticed that the non-electronic suspension is on the firm side when going over road imperfections/small potholes.
I rented a base model Deville in 2004 for a 1500 mile roadtrip and that car's suspension was incredible. Nothing seemed to phase it and it too had about 20k on it but was only several months old.

So my question is, eventhough our 2000 Deville has low mileage is it still possible for the front suspension to be wearing out considering it's been holding up the weight of the engine & tranny for nearly 8 years?

We've even replaced the crappy firestone infinity tires on it to a set of Michelin HydroEdges. If anything it's slightly harsher on rough roads...but the grip is fantastic.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1996 Deville (sold), 2000 Mustang GT
1,300 Posts
Even though the car has low miles its higly likely the shocks need replacing. The shock boots may be damaged and leaking some fluid. It also may be time to replace some bushings in the suspension. Again evern though its low mileage, after 8 years some of the bushings may be shot, especially the sway bar link bushings. You lucked out getting the nonelectronic suspensions or else youd be paying 1000 dollars per shock, no joke.

·
Registered
Cadillac
76 Posts
I would bet that it is the tires. How much pressure is in the tires? I know that tire installers tend to overinflate tires to 35-40 psi. Check your tire pressure, even 5 psi overinflated can cause a major difference in ride quality. Also, it could be the type of tires. When I purchased my 2001 Cadillac Deville Base, I had cheap Firestone S-Rated tires. Now, I have a set of Goodyear Eagle GS-H tires (97H Rated). These tires ride much more firmly, with a bit more road noise, but handle much better - its a trade off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts