Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I've read a lot online about how this generation of devilles had been know for a range of problems,is this true? If so is there any particular model year to avoid? I'm asking as a local car lot has an '03 and an '05 both have about 80,000 miles. I want to bring my mechanic along to look at these is there anything in particular to look out for a stay clear of when buying one of these caddys used? Thanks for your help guys.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,504 Posts
There is so much material concerning your question posted in this Forum and Northstar Performance that it would honestly take a NYC telephone book to hold it all. Your best bet is to browse the forums and threads for titles of interest, and take your mechanic with you.

Look up the methods for obtaining the GM Service history for your car of choice, as well as the RPO (Regular Production Option) list for the car. The "sticky" posts at the top of the forum pages contain much info, as does the "Cadillac Technical Archive" up in the black bar ^^^. Read the whole Archive.

Come back with specific questions, with the year, make, and model listed. They're all different to some degree. The 2000-2004 FWD Northstar package in the DTS and Concours represent the best of the series. Like any mechanical/electronic/electrical package, there are bugs and faults which crop up. Normal maintenance and the price of admission.

Welcome Aboard !!!!!!! :welcome:

·
Registered
Cadillac
282 Posts
A 2002 or later should be a safe bet. But wow! I think 80 k is a lot of miles for an '05, but not too bad for an '02. Pricewise, you're probably looking somewhere between $8,000 and $14,000. Caddys aren't really hot now (with gas creeping back up), so deal hard and you might get yourself a bargain. Keep in mind the DTS (performance) and DHS (luxury) models will price a couple thou above the standard models, but they're worth it. You only buy it once, but you're likely to use it for at least a few years.

Check www.cars.com or www.vehix.com for comparables.

·
Registered
2008 DTS Lux III
587 Posts
Sorry but I believe that statement is a bunch of crap. I have an 03 with 43k on it and am still waiting for the first problem. I had a 96 that had a single issue (fuel pump) and a 98 that had no issues. These cars are tanks; they will run forever if you take care of them. Far, far better than a comparable TC, imho.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts