Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
2002 DHS Lux iii & 2007 DTS Lux ii
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just finished a full interior/exterior swap of all halogen bulb to LED's. I noticed there wasn't a post that had a full walkthrough for the 2000-2005 Deville models, causing me to waste hours researching the right bulbs/ways to install them. So I thought I'd save others the time and write up a guide myself. In my opinion, this swap is the cheapest way to change the overall look of your Deville and make it look even more modern.
If you want to double check any of the exact bulb types, head over to the Sylvania website. They got a neat tool that shows some of the halogen bulbs your car uses. https://www.sylvania.com/en-us/applications/automotive-lighting-systems/Pages/lrgmain.aspx#fldYear

DOOR/ COURTESY LIGHTS (4x)

The LED bulbs you need can be found here (42mm Festoon):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B2YHFO2/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Once you have the bulbs, open the door up on your car and get out a flathead. There are 4 tabs that can be pushed on with the flathead to open up the casing. Be careful when prying, otherwise the tabs might bust.

Once it's opened up, carefully pry the bulb out (It can be really hot) and swap it for the LED. Try to wear gloves when handling the new LED bulbs, the oils from your hands can always affect the bulb down the road. Make sure the LED is pointed in the proper direction, they aren't like halogens where they emit light from all angles. The side that emits light is the one that has the yellow circles. If the LED doesn't light up, flip the bulb around. The bulbs are polarized with a + and - side, and may need to be flipped like a battery for them to work. You will want to make sure each bulb works for every install.

Once it's swapped, putting back on the casing is a bit tricky. Angle the housing down (shown below), so it pokes out the front, then attach the cover to the front two tabs. After that, level the housing and slide the cover back so that the back tabs snap into the back of the housing. This part can be insanely tricky, but if you play around with it, you should get it.

Repeat 3 more times and you're done!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OVERHEAD MAP LIGHTS (4x)

The bulbs you need here are the same as the door lights. If you bought the pack I recommended, you'll have the exact amount of bulbs for this project.

You need to pry out the overhead console to access these lights. The console is attached by 4 clips, and can be removed with a flathead. Below is the picture of the console removed so that you can see where the clip locations (in red) are.

Now the farther back 2 clips are slanted at an angle while the front 2 clips are horizontal. So just adjust for wherever you decide to pry first. (Front= horizontal, back= angled) Once it is out, you'll have to unplug all the wires from the console, don't worry about confusion when plugging them back in, all the plugs are significantly different.

Once the console is out, you will need to unscrew the cover to the bulbs. Being complicated as usual, these are torx screws, so make sure you have the proper bit. There are 4 screws (circled in red).

Once you separate the covering and turn it around to access the bulbs, there will be a metal covering in front of the bulbs. Turn it back around, and use a flathead to pry the tabs out.

After that, swap in the LED bulbs. I noticed that the LED's didn't fit here as well, and there was a slight amount of wiggle room with the bulbs, so they tended to rotate in the socket. Be mindful of the directions the bulbs are in and be careful to not flip the housing all around, and you'll be fine. Now putting back the console is a little tricky. The one wire that leads from the garage opener is very tricky to put back. Basically you will need to take the bulb housing (still unattached from the main console) and thread the wire connector through the tabs first. It should look like below...

Now get an extra hand to help hold the console for you. Then you must slide the bulb housing back on the console and attach the garage opener chip to the connector at the same time. An easier method might be to cut off the tabs on the bulb housing, allowing you to connect the garage opener after you've attached the console back to the bulb housing. While the easier method won't require a second person, I'm not sure if the connection will be as trustworthy after the tabs are removed.

After whatever method you choose, make sure to put the screws back in, attach the wires, and put the console back in the ceiling.

Now for the back map lights. Here is another picture of the map light gone. You will need to pop it out by two tabs that are closest to you/the window (circled in red).

Now pry out the tabs.

If you are still hesitant on the tab locations, you can pull the door trim slightly off, and look through the ceiling at the light assembly.

Replace the bulbs. Then you will need to slide the white colored light switch back into a section on the cover (where thumb is at in the pic below).

Pop the light cover back in and repeat for the other side.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
VANITY MIRROR LIGHTs (8x)

Here are the bulbs (29mm/ TS-14V1CP), these are a bit smaller size than the door/map lights.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A9YZP3E/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This install is really easy. Open up the mirror, take notice of the tabs in the bulb cover, and pry them out with a small flathead.

Swap the bulb out. Note: you may want to angle the LED away from you, as the brightness on these bulbs are ridiculous. Play around with it and see what you prefer.

Pop the cover back on and you're done.

Glovebox (1x)

Here is the bulb type (PC-194):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0047RV8WG/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This one will require a little bit of work. First of all, you will need to take out the 8 torx screws that are in the glovebox. There are 4 on the sides, 2 inside the box, and 2 in the roof of the box. (Circled in red as usual)

Now the glovebox should be somewhat loose. However, it is still attached to the piece of U trim under it, so you will need to remove the trim next. The piece is held in by 4 tabs in each corner. In order to remove them, grab the top piece of the trim and pull outward. You may use either a flathead or small tool to pry/pull it out. With the top tabs out, pulling the bottom pieces out is easy.

With the trim out, the glovebox should slide out easily. Now the bulb should be attached to the side of the box, just press the plastic side tabs to unattached it from the box. Swap the bulbs, and thread the wires connected to the box back into the dash. If they stick out, the glovebox will not slide back in properly.

Put everything back, and you're done!

----------

LICENSE PLATE LIGHT (2x)

The bulb needed here is technically the same as the glovebox. But personally, I ordered a higher LED count bulb as I thought the glovebox bulbs were slightly too dim. The brighter bulbs can be found here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006R34PB4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

First of all I would remove your license plate, so it gives you a little more room to work.

Now another forum member actually worded the swap best. I'm just going to quote him. If you want to find the actual post with the pictures embedded, go here and scroll down: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...264176-2005-deville-license-plate-lights.html

You have to put a screw driver or putty knife on the outer edge of the housing (red dot) and push left. When you see the clip move all the way over to the right (circled in blue) then pry down with the screw driver. The entire bulb housing will come out and you can just remove and replace the bulb or I recommend that you wash the housing and clean the contact with steel wool (mine were very rusted).
View attachment 94510
the other pic is just to show you what my LED's look like.
View attachment 94511
When the housing comes out, you won't have immediate access to the bulb. Instead you will see the base of the bulb sticking out. You will need to grab the base and twist, then you can pull it out. You will now be holding onto the attached base and bulb. On the previous LED swaps you've done, all you had to do was pull the bulb out of the socket base. This one will be slightly different. The contacts of the bulb are threaded through the side of the base. You will need to use a needlenose or other tool to unthread the wire contacts from the base. Then you can pull the bulb out like normal. When you stick the new LED bulb in, you will need to thread the wire contacts into the base yourself. This is about as technical as the whole project gets, so don't worry.

If my wording was hard to understand, here's another post describing the bulb swapping:
Hey guys, just wanted to tell you that I was able to retrofit a LED bulb into my license plate bulb today.. You might ask, "How did you do this, the bulb is a PC195/PC168 bulb, they come with a stupid connector that no LED matches.. But they do make a 168 and 194 bulb that fits into the connector.. All you have to do is go on the underside of the connector, pick off or unbend the metal wires that go to the metal leads at the bottom and pry bulb out of socket (kind of like a tooth extraction which made me think of my wisdom tooth removal *YIKES*).. Fit in the 168/194 bulb of your choice (make sure it has the clearance on the length to fit into the housing) and bend the metal wires or solder the metal wires onto the metal leads at bottom.. Screw back into housing and enjoy..

NOTE: Bulb might not work at first.. If so flip bulb around and screw back in they have a negative and positive side..
And that's it for the license plate!

REVERSE LIGHTS (2x)

Now the back part of your car won't look complete until you do this swap. Here's the bulb (3157):
http://www.amazon.com/Classy-Autos-Daytime-Running-Reverse/dp/B0089GTC92/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Open the trunk and pop out the six trunk liner clips that are on the opposite side of the license plate.

With the liner clips gone, you should be able to peel back the trunk lining and see the backside of the reverse light housing.

Take a look for the bolts that are holding the light housing in. If I recall right, there should be about 5 (give or take). Undo the bolts. Go the outside of your car now (looking at the license plate, and pull the light housing out. The whole backside of your trunk should come out (reverse lights, license plate). Now twist the lightbulb base out from the housing (similar to the license plate swap), and then you can pull the bulb from the base and swap it with the LED.

Put everything back and you're set!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TRUNK BAY BULB (1x)

Here's the bulb (42mm Festoon):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006R2RZOY/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Clear out your trunk so you can get a look at the light in the trunk ceiling. Simply take a flathead to the clips on the ends and loosen it. With it loosened, you can get your fingers in the side and pry the cover out. Do the swap, and pop the cover back in.

Engine Bay Bulb (1x)

The bulb (42-44mm rigid loop festoon):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B210TL6/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Open your trunk and get a flathead out.

Stick the flathead in the tab slot and pry the cover out.

With the way the bulb fits in, the LED must be angled either right or left. I chose to angle it to the left, so that it would point to the engine bay. Even though the bulb is angled, it still produces the same amount of light as the halogen.

----------

Headlights (4x)

Doing a full HID/LED swap was a little too adventurous for me on this one. If you want to swap to HID, check out this tutorial (go to page 2 and scroll down to find the full walkthrough with pics): http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...1834-how-2000-2005-deville-mini-morimoto.html

I just swapped the stock yellow halogen bulb to a crisp white halogen bulb. There are a couple different bulbs you can choose from (PIAA, Sylvania, Phillips). I went with the Phillips here (9005/9006):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00480J4UK/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00480FIEG/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pop the hood and take out the three bolts holding in the headlamp. One of the bolts is not shown in the picture, as it sits significantly lower than the other two. The red circle should show the general area of where it is.

Once the bolts are out, pull the housing out horizontally.

Flip open the back flap to get access to the bulbs. The high and low beams are color coded, so just match up the old and new bulbs and make the switch. Once done, put everything back and you're finally done!

·
Registered
1995 Sedan DeVille , 1967 Eldorado
445 Posts
Looks very nice but you forgot the ash tray. Now you have to do all the dash lights so they match.

Something to add the glove box does not have to be removed, just use a screw driver or even your fingers and pull it out the wire is way long enough to get it out and change the bulb.

·
Registered
2001 Cadillac DeVille DTS
299 Posts
Very nice write-up! I changed most of my lights to LED also, but I didn't change my vanity mirror lights because I wasn't sure if the dimmer switch would work. Does the dimmer switch work? With the LED's being so bright, the dimmer switch would be needed even more so. BTW, I believe that the number of lights for the vanity mirrors would be 4x and not 8x.

·
Registered
03 DHS, 2008 DTS
148 Posts
Very nice write-up! With the LED's being so bright, the dimmer switch would be needed even more so. BTW, I believe that the number of lights for the vanity mirrors would be 4x and not 8x.
Same here did my interior light but didn't change the vanity mirror lights for the exact same reason. If you have the rear passenger vanity mirrors (at least my DHS has them) then you will need 8x lights not 4x.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very nice write-up! I changed most of my lights to LED also, but I didn't change my vanity mirror lights because I wasn't sure if the dimmer switch would work. Does the dimmer switch work? With the LED's being so bright, the dimmer switch would be needed even more so. BTW, I believe that the number of lights for the vanity mirrors would be 4x and not 8x.
Just went to double check the dimmer switch on my car, and you called it right. The dimmer switch doesn't work with the new bulbs. If you're still curious about trying it out, I would recommend it. It's one of the easiest swaps on my car, so it wouldn't take much effort to change it back (if you didn't want it). To swap all the vanities took about 10 minutes.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Same here did my interior light but didn't change the vanity mirror lights for the exact same reason. If you have the rear passenger vanity mirrors (at least my DHS has them) then you will need 8x lights not 4x.
Okay, I didn't know that the DHS has the vanity mirrors in the rear as well. My DTS has only the front visor vanity mirrors. Thank you for that clarification.:thumbsup:

----------

Just went to double check the dimmer switch on my car, and you called it right. The dimmer switch doesn't work with the new bulbs. If you're still curious about trying it out, I would recommend it. It's one of the easiest swaps on my car, so it wouldn't take much effort to change it back (if you didn't want it). To swap all the vanities took about 10 minutes.
With the bulbs angled away from the mirror, does it help to reduce the intensity of the light significantly? I may try it since it seems that the incandescent bulbs turn more and more yellowish brown as they get older. Also, I'm going to have to most likely replace my trunk light with a 30 SMD LED since mine I believe is a 8 SMD LED, and it doesn't light the trunk very well in the dark of night.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, I didn't know that the DHS has the vanity mirrors in the rear as well. My DTS has only the front visor vanity mirrors. Thank you for that clarification.:thumbsup:

----------

With the bulbs angled away from the mirror, does it help to reduce the intensity of the light significantly? I may try it since it seems that the incandescent bulbs turn more and more yellowish brown as they get older. Also, I'm going to have to most likely replace my trunk light with a 30 SMD LED since mine I believe is a 8 SMD LED, and it doesn't light the trunk very well in the dark of night.
Rotating the LED's in the mirror change the light intensity quite a bit. I'd recommend facing the LED's 90 degrees away from you, so that they point outward (towards the doors). If you put them backwards, they almost seem too dim. And good idea with the 30 SMD bulb, that'll definitely kick some serious light out!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Thanks, I'll follow the 90 degrees recommendation when I do eventually change the vanity lights. I ordered my 30 SMD LED last week, and I'm looking forward to installing it when I do receive it.

Also, I'm wondering if adding another 42-44mm rigid loop festoon LED for the engine bay light, and facing it in the opposite direction would work. This would mean that you would have two lights that are facing in opposite directions of each other, since I haven't been able to find a 90 degree rigid loop that would face the LED's directly towards the lens.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I just installed the 30-SMD LED in the trunk and it made a HUGE difference. Too bad my cell phone doesn't take good enough pictures to show how bright it is, or else I'd take a few pictures and post them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Glad to hear the trunk bulb worked out! As for the rigid loop, you might have to try that one out. Since LED's take significantly less power, it might work. I'm not at all sure, but it might be worth a try. You could also look up the bulb/circuit schematics and try to do some math to figure it out. But that's a little out of my league :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2005 Deville DTS
36 Posts
Seyahsed, this is a great post. I have an 05 dts and I would love to do this. Question, does the theater dimming when you close the doors still work with the LED bulbs.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Seyahsed, this is a great post. I have an 05 dts and I would love to do this. Question, does the theater dimming when you close the doors still work with the LED bulbs.
I'm not sure if you are directing this question only to Seyahsed, but the answer is yes it does. The lights dim slowly like the incandescent bulb does when you close the door. This leads me to believe that LED's can dim, so it now makes wonder about the vanity mirror not dimming with the switch....hmmm.:confused:

·
Registered
1995 Sedan DeVille , 1967 Eldorado
445 Posts
Just a wild guess would the mirrors use a resistor to dim and doesn't a high enough resistance to dim an LED. The interior lights do dim on the other hand because they either have a larger resistor or if I'm thinking correctly they use pulse width modulation to dim the lights, I'm not sure on this though.

I did this same conversion on a 2009 Ford Escape and had the same thing happen and that's when I came up with the above conclusion.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Just a wild guess would the mirrors use a resistor to dim and doesn't a high enough resistance to dim an LED. The interior lights do dim on the other hand because they either have a larger resistor or if I'm thinking correctly they use pulse width modulation to dim the lights, I'm not sure on this though.

I did this same conversion on a 2009 Ford Escape and had the same thing happen and that's when I came up with the above conclusion.
That's a good point that you bring up. I would need to find the electrical schematic and see what the difference is between the vanity mirror lights and the map lights. Or maybe I can see what the resistance value difference is between the incandescent bulb and the LED, but I don't think that information is available for either of them.

·
Registered
2004 SLS
254 Posts
Thank you very much for the write up. I just converted my SLS interior bulbs to LEDs. The only difficulties encountered were the reinstallation of rear map light housings. Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts