Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you very much for this write up! I have gotten so much valuable information from this forum. After having this fan issue and googling it, brought me right back here to this thread. I gave it a go and it worked!

There was so much crud in that original fan motor. It's an 05 Deville just if anyone is curious. I live in Indiana so the fan gets used a lot in our very muggy summers to our very cold winters so it's no wonder there was so much build up on the brushes, there was even a June bug in the motor housing...who knows how long he'd been in there.

This isn't the first time this forum has saved me time and money so I decided to join, just a free membership for now. I just wanted to say hi and thanks for all the help on here.

·
Registered
2004 Deville
1 Posts
Worked great for me too on my '04 Deville. There was a lot of built up dust and dirt from wear of the contacts, which desperately needed cleaning. It was easy to see why the blower was only intermittently working. A pretty easy job that saved me some good coin!

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,586 Posts
Be advised that cleaning it out may not be a permanent repair. I had the same problem on my daughters '04 SLS. When I saw the mess, I thought sure it was a fix after cleaning it. No such luck. I eventually had to replace it, so be prepared.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sure, Ranger is right, but it's not that accessible for everyone in the middle of the winter to go and get new blower motor installed, and so this great tip may help as a temporary ("key" word) solution to make a couple of trips without foggy windshield and freezing temperature in the cabin... I just did the same thing and I am shopping for a new blower, but at least I will be able to go to work tomorrow morning safely and warm :) It might be a life saving tip from MinnesotaDeville, thanks for sharing!

New guy here - I guess I'm the lucky owner of a first series blower.... Can anyone tell me what I have to do to get the blasted thing OUT???? I"m recovering from shoulder surgery right now so I can't crawl under and figure it out, I've got the glovebox and trim out of the way, got it unplugged, and three screws out - but it seems to be at least one more WAY in back... Am I going to need to get under the car and cut a hole or what?

Thanks!
pay attention at he pictures of the product, if this the same kind you would notice the mounting holes, this should help you or anyone else in same shoes

·
Registered
2 Posts
This was a quick fix that I did to restore function to my blower motor. Just wanted to post this because I noticed a lot of threads pleading for help but really no solutions. This is just one thing to check before ordering a new blower motor.

Symptoms I was having
- Blower motor not working, minute heat or no air blowing out the dash/defrosters/floor. ect...
- Occasionally works turns on and off
- Slamming the right hand side passenger door would temporarily fix the problem
- Tapping on the blower motor metal housing with the handle of a screw driver would temporarily fix the problem
- Wiggle the blower motor power source - Blower motor turns on and off
- Wiggle the housing - Blower motor turns on and off

Quick Fix - Take blower motor out from underneath the dash (passengers side - 3 screws). Took the metal housing off the bottom of the motor so you can see the brushes and the copper color metal that they come in contact with. I took a small file and filed the brushes slightly. Then I took the file and filed away the musty tarnished brass/copper or what ever the metal is. Got it nice and shiny again. The sub housing that holds the brushes, remove that from the main housing. You will need to pinch the brushes to retract the springs so you can get the sub housing back on the contact. Then put the main cover or housing 2 screws back on, plug the blower motor back in and she should start spinning. That was just my case and what I did to fix it. If you have some of the symptoms above you might want to try it. It will save you some $$$ about $250 from the stealership.. Ebay has new motors for about $50. This whole ordeal took me about 45 mins with a broken knee... Anyone is capable...

Hope this helps as thats all I am trying to do, I know my parts terminology is not up to par... GOOD LUCK!!!

Commutator end bearing housing, brush holder, commutator. Best way to clean the commutator is to use a strip of crocus cloth - just like the corner shoeshine jockey.
I noticed i had one of those symptoms (Working occasionally) so I got down and hit the blower casing a few times and it started right up. While I was down there noticed a lot of cold condensation, almost a puddle near the casing,cleaned that up and let it be. When I get home I'll take it apart and file it like you said. Many thanks man!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts