Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Eldorado
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled my plugs and sprayed my cylinders on my 500 cid motor, i didn't mark the wires, so i would know where they go...does anyone know the firing order on the cap? i can still see the numbers on the manifold...:bonkers:

Also what size bolt do i need for the crankshaft?

i forgot they didn't come from the factory with crank bolts and i need to see if the motor will turn

·
Registered
74 Eldorado
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
hey guys I did a search and found the answers to the;

crank bolt size...

I just need to know where #1 is on the cap.... does anyone have a pic...

Thanks....

·
Registered
1970 Sedan deVille hardtop
595 Posts
Sorry, but the answer is "It Depends"
Honestly. Some books might show a picture with #1 in a certain location, but because the only thing that matters is the order they are fired in, the distributor can be installed with #1 pointing anywhere as long as all the other cylinders fire in the right order and the engine is timed right.
What you need to do is use that new crank nut and turn the engine over to TDC, compression stroke, on #1 (passengers front cylinder). Put the #1 plug wire on the terminal that the rotor arm is pointing to then, and put the rest of the plug wires on in a clockwise direction, following the order on the intake.

·
Registered
74 Eldorado
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BluEyes said:
Sorry, but the answer is "It Depends"
Honestly. Some books might show a picture with #1 in a certain location, but because the only thing that matters is the order they are fired in, the distributor can be installed with #1 pointing anywhere as long as all the other cylinders fire in the right order and the engine is timed right.
What you need to do is use that new crank nut and turn the engine over to TDC, compression stroke, on #1 (passengers front cylinder). Put the #1 plug wire on the terminal that the rotor arm is pointing to then, and put the rest of the plug wires on in a clockwise direction, following the order on the intake.
Dah, i just rebuilt the motor on my chevy... i should've known that...

Thanks and you're correct.

·
Registered
74 Eldorado
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
74eldog said:
Dah, i just rebuilt the motor on my chevy... i should've known that...

Thanks and you're correct.
Well i wasn't able to turn the motor by hand.... i think that the pistons are just very rusted, I'm planning on pulling the motor over the next couple of weeks...

I'm gonna have the heads rebuilt, and freshen up the bottom end....

On the upside, when i put the battery in and turned the key, EVERYTHING, still works....

Transmission has already been rebuilt and still has the tag on it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts