Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My dad just bought a new Infiniti G35x AWD sedan (Arriving Dec.17 :)), and the dealership offerd him 2500 as a trade in for his 97 Catera...so needless to say, he decided just to give the Catera to me as my first car (I start driving next month). He recently took the car to see what was causing it not to idle properly, and also because there was oil smoke from the engine...the car needs a new valve cover gasket which was a 45 dollar item, but to install it would be 234.00
ouch.
The other part, what they wrote down as "IAC" is a 425 dollar part that has a 40 dollar install fee.....i think the IAC stands for Idle Air Control or something along those lines.....
What i want to know about this is exactly how hard it is to replace the valve cover gasket.....i'm willing to stand out there in the cold all day undoing wires and hoses and stuff because thats what it looks like is the big reason for the big install fee.........
and what is the real name of this 'IAC', where can i get one cheaper, where is it located, etc.

Also, this has been an ongoing problem for the last few months with the car. Whenever it rains really hard for a long time, the carpet, especially the rear carpet, gets soaked. I dont mean just a little bit damp, but SOAKED to the point at which you put your foot on the carpet and it makes that 'Squish/*patter*' sound like if you stepped in a puddle.....but heres the thing...only the carpet gets wet. The seats are dry, the doors are dry, the dash is dry, the area behind the seats is dry, the trunk is dry....so we have no clue how its getting there. Any ideas?

EDIT:
Just went outside to get some pics, decided to also get a quick video from inside the car showing how the car is not idling right....

http://home.comcast.net/~speedingpenguin/caddi_004.MOV

http://home.comcast.net/~speedingpenguin/caddi_003.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~speedingpenguin/caddi_002.jpg

I will get some better pictures tomorrow...right now the rear seat bench is sitting on the porch, probably gonna end up taking all the seats out and taking the carpet up, making sure that nothing starts rotting....

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Welcome to the forums.... Thanks for signing up :wave:

I took a look at your movie, and that idle makes me cry... How do you drive that thing???? Anyway, the IAC is the IDLE AIR CONTROL, and what it does is vary the amount of air going into the plenum.... I have never heard of IACs failing, but rather they stick and they need to be cleaned..... Maybe your engine is different, but I doubt it would need to be replaced at such a young age..... Youll wanna take it off and clean it up real nice..... Then if that doesnt work then you can replace it!!! Look at it this way, cleaning the IAC is free, so its worth a shot.....

Now for your valve covers..... I think its a DIY job, but youll want a FSM to do the job, as they have specific torques and torque patterns you must follow..... The main thing is its gonna be really tight in there, but other than that its a straightforeward job! Youll probably need to take out the plugs/coils and then remove the covers, along with all the other crap thats in the way! Since the valve covers require lots of undoing, id recommend taking lots of pictures!! Plus, you cna then use them to give us a good writeup (hint hint)...... However, seeing that they only want to charge 234 for labor (or maybe parts/labor) that makes it sound pretty easy..... To do my covers at shop labor (not dealer) will be almost 600-700...... you can bet im not paying someone to do that!!

And for the water thing, that really sucks..... Id make sure all your drains are fully open (at the doors and anywhere else you can find)...... Otherwise youll wanna just keep a wet/dry vac in there handy!!!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the quick reply. As for your comment about the idle...well, i dont drive it. lol
the whole reason my dad is gettign the G35 is because the caddy started doing that......its super hard to drive though....lol

Where is the IAC located? got pics of it?
My dad actually bought a bunch of books on the catera a few months ago...i should look for them tonight....

And for the valve covers.....are there any hoses/lines/wires i should be especially careful of?
Dont wanna disconnect a hose and have fluids gushing out at me.....lol

I will actually be documenting everything i do durring this 'mild rebuild' and probably will just get a car domain page and show the whole process. Tomorrow after school i'll continue cleaning out the car so that i can really start getting into it.

Also, how should i clean the IAC? whats involved with it?
Thanks
-Chris

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Unfortunately I cant tell you exactly where the IAC is.... On mine its located on the rear end of the plenum (near the firewall) but its probably in a different spot for you....

Its probably gonna be hard to spot unless you know exactly what your looking for..... If you know where the idle adjustment is, youll be able to find the IAC (cuz most of the time the idle adjustment is the IAC).....

For hoses and wires.... I dont think theres gonna be too much to be really extra careful about.... you may need to take off the TB, and for that youll have to disconnect the FIC (fast idle cam) coolant line, but its so small you wont have any mess to worry about..... The PCV hoses may be messy with oily goo, but it wont like spray out at you...... And for the wires, just make sure you document where all the connections are and what goes to what..... Half the battle is figuring out where all that stuff goes once it comes time to reassemble......

You can post all of your pictures here!!!

Cleaning the IAC involves taking it out (duh) and opening it up and cleaning all the gunk..... Once you get it off the car its cake from there..... Just a few nuts and you can go nuts!!!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Allright....
I got out the series of books that my dad had bought on eBay a while back.....its a 3 part library about the 1997 Catera, but for the number of pages that there are, IMO the book could have been made better by a 2 year old. No diagrams what so ever.....on the small section about the IAC, pretty much what it said was 'To replace the IAC you unscrew this and then put the replacement where the old one was and screw it back in'....not very helpful.
Heck, they had 2 diagrams showing the location and how to change the air filter, but couldnt even say something like 'The IAC is located against the intake manifold above the left valve cover, its a black box 5 inches long and 3 inches wide and has a number printed on it'

Any suggestions for some good repair manuals?

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
www.helminc.com

Is it the FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL?? It will be copywrited by Cadillac, not by any other company..... However, that is how most FSMs are.... They are mostly about diagnostic procedures..... However my Q45 service manual has tons of diagrams....... Remember, these manuals are designed to be used by technicians who already konw for the most part where everything is and how to do everything....... Thats why we are here to guide you along and fill in the spaces!!!!

·
Registered
435 Posts
I had the same exact problem with the water in my 2000 Catera immediatly after i bought it. Heres what you do. Open up your hood. On the left side all the way up by the windshield theres some sort of weather stripping seal. Remove that. You will see a small sort of triangular plastic piece that needs to be popped up. Sorry im really bad at describing this but essentially what your doing is getting acces to your cabin air filter. Ones you pop the plastic up you will see the filter in there and there will also be alot of extra space. On the bottom of that extra space is a drain, if the drain is clogged the water has no where to go and will seep into your cabin. Just unclog the drain, replace your cabin air filter (it will prob be ruined from the water), Use a shop Vac to remove as much water from the carpet as possible, then blow dry the rest. Thats what i did to mine and i haevnt had the water problem since. Hope i can help. Feel free to message me if you need more instructions or pics or anything.

·
Registered
Omega MV6
8 Posts
Hi from Scotland and www.omegaowners.com .

You have the V6 engine? If so, cam cover gaskets are done like this.

Water in the left side footwell (drivers side in the US) will most probably be coming from the scuttle drain as the previous poster above explains. Water should exit at the front wheel. I usually remove as much water and dead leaves etc as possible then use a strong jet from a garden hose to flush it clear. The main engine loom is down there so be carefull what you poke and prod around with.

The Idle Control Valve, on the UK spec V6's, is located on the front right side of the plenum as you stand at the front of the engine. Silver component, about 3 inches in length, 2 inches diameter, black hose entering to the front, electrical connector to the rear, with another hose to the side where it enters the plenum. Held in place by a rubber mount. Simply unplug and remove then clean internals with lots carb cleaner. Do not use anything to scrape of the crud inside as internals are easily scratched. Lightly lube with a few drops of very light machine oil. Cheap and easy fix.

Hope this helps
H21

1 - 9 of 9 Posts