Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66DeVille Vert 76Coupe Delegance 07Escalade ESV 96Fleetwood 83Coupe Deville 70Calais
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
07 ESV 85k
I havent owned many trucks just cadillac cars, so Im not sure how solid the suspensions are on these trucks, but the front end seems to have a heavy duty rattle when hitting bumps like a loose shock or something. You dont hear it, you feel it. Mostly feel it in the steering wheel but feels like suspension. Sway bar is solid, front shocks are solid and not wet, wheel bearings are solid. Not sure if brake calipers are solid but Im about to change the front pads because the brakes have a steady squeal even though they have like a half life left. I dont even know if calipers can rattle and be noticed like that. Anything else to check? I have repaired the intermediate steering shaft coupler in a 03 yukon before because the steering wheel rattled so bad, its a real common problem in those trucks. My problem is a little similar but its not nearly as bad and they dont make that common replacement part for these trucks like they do for those gen2 trucks so I dont figure its the steering column.

Next problem, i get a humming from the front of the engine, intermittent. Can get louder, quieter, steady, goes away, mostly at idle. Its annoying. After research I found the steering pumps are loud in the 5.3/6.2 type engines. So i took out fluid and added lucas. That stuff works great in any other thing ive put it in. The hum is still there. I replaced the top idler/tensioner for one i had laying around and that did nothing. Ive tried spraying pulleys with wd40 that doesnt work. I really cant tell where its coming from exactly. I replaced the belt, still no help. Is something about to break or what else should I check? Nothing changes turning the a/c on or off.

Thanks!

·
Registered
66DeVille Vert 76Coupe Delegance 07Escalade ESV 96Fleetwood 83Coupe Deville 70Calais
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive made sure the shocks are tight. I realize the mounts can still be bad tho. I might have to look into that. Was hoping it was more of a common problem

·
Registered
DHS, 2007 ESV
241 Posts
I just replaced lower ball joints on mine with 144k, the passenger side had about 2mm of vertical play in it. I felt a rattly feeling when turning on bumpy surfaces.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Changed my rotors and pads today so I got in to see things better. I had previously changed my driver side sway bar end link because the bolt had snapped. Well the passenger side is now broke. It looked intact a couple months ago when i changed the driverside. So that might be some of the rattle. I will fix it today or tomorrow. Also I wiggled my steering shaft in the engine bay that comes from the firewall, it rattles when you wiggle it up and down, the rattle and moving comes from behind that shield on the firewall. This is the same area the previous generation SUVs had a big problem. I might take that shield off and see if a coupler or joint in there has play and shouldnt.

Also I drained and added some royal purple steering fluid conditioner. Lucas didnt help much so I will try royal purple. If this doesnt help any then maybe its the alternator whining. But I did have the whining louder this morning when turning left so it made me think steering pump so I changed the fluid again.

to be continued

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sway bend link helped big time. not much rattle anymore. no humming yet either, well see if that comes back.

·
Registered
2010 ESV Platinum WDT
189 Posts
I had noise under right hand turns only driving me nuts for a month. Found bad idler would only act up when tension was applied to belt in steering - and only one directional steering. I reproduced it under the hood by putting tension to the belt at the tensioner while engine running. Sung good for me then.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If anyone searches and finds they need some info on this, here is an update.

The royal purple additive made the steering pump quiet for the past 9 months. now about the steering rattle.

I chased this rattle for over a year now. I changed the front shocks, wheel bearings, upper steering shaft, both sway bar links were bad I replaced those, still had that annoying rattle feeling in the steering yet nothing felt loose by hand. I found on other forums the rack and pinion bushings that hold the rack and pinion in place go bad and its the whole rack moving that I am feeling. A new rack is $200 and GM wont sell you the bushings seperate because they need pressed on. Its a common problem I guess. Sure enough i unbolted the rack and mount holding the rack was super loose, it was not holding it solid at all. So I needed some hard rubber bushing type material to put some pressure on this rack. I found a coil spring booster in the garage that would just fit if i crammed it between the middle of the rack and the frame, then tighten the bolts down and the rack is super solid now. No more rattle feel!! Steering feels tighter as well. Its a ghetto fix but its super cheap and easy to do and should work for quite a long time. Here is a picture of a spring booster like i used.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts