Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
NONE
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That pretty much describes my weekend with the new CTS-V. I started the weekend with about 250 miles on the odometer and the car not broken in. I ended it with just over a 1000 miles and a big smile on my face.

Friday evening I headed from Northern VA down to Luray to visit an old friend from high school that I hadn't seen in years. It was about 90 miles each way of almost exclusively winding country roads. Mile after mile clicked off at a brisk pace as I was wrapped in the Recaros like a cocoon. For the most part I just left the car in 5th gear and lumbered through turns with the prodigious torque of the motor. I am truly amazed and how comfortable this car is to drive fast.

The highlight of this trip though was Rt. 211. Jvp described this road well in one of his posts but for those that missed it Rt. 211 crosses two mountains and consists of absolutely perfect cambered pavement and two lanes going up the mountain with one lane going down. I saw very few cars as I crossed the mountain but those that I came across were very quickly dispatched with only a quick lane change.

Above all else I was amazed at the level of grip this car has. I kept pushing faster and faster through the switchbacks since I had plenty of runoff room with the 3 wide lanes. I never really found the limit of adhesion before my better sense and the blood pooling to the side of my head slowed me down. This car has TREMENDOUS GRIP and really feel light on its feet. It just seems to stick no matter how bad your technique. When I got down the mountain the G meter showed a peak of .98 right and .94 left - I was pretty smooth so I don't think these were false instantaneous peaks from a quick jerk on the wheel.

I got back home late Friday night and was up early Saturday to head to a local Steeplechase race - time for a little high society with the Caddy. I cleaned her up and my wife and I headed out in our "proper race attire". On the way back I was on yet another winding country road and failed to notice that the speed limit was only 30 MPH. I came over a hill and there was a local Sheriff - I was busted.

"Yes Sir", "Yes Sir", "I imagine I was exceeding the speed limit Sir", "No Sir", "Here's my license and registration Sir". Apparently I was doing 48 MPH but because I was honest and respectful the Sheriff let me off with a ticket for failure to obey a road sign. I do wonder if that still would have been the case if I was driving my old WRX STi? In any case there's a lesson in there.

Finally, Sunday we did a family day trip to the NYC area. My wife and I loaded up the kids and off we went on about a 600 mile round trip in 12 hours. The seats again were very comfortable, there was plenty of room for the kids in the back, there was plenty of torque for passing in 6th gear, and I averaged 19.5 MPG for the trip. To be honest I probably would have done better on gas if I wasn't doing my best carrier launch impression at every toll booth :) My only complaint is the inability to play a DVD for the kids in the back seat but the kids hung in there for about the first 10 hours of the trip.

So that was my first weekend with the V; 2 days, 800 miles, .98 G, 19.5 MPG, and a speeding ticket. Not a bad start...

·
Registered
NONE
451 Posts
So that was my first weekend with the V; 2 days, 800 miles, .98 G, 19.5 MPG, and a speeding ticket. Not a bad start...
And to top it off, you get to spend an absolutely gorgeous day at Summit Point tomorrow in your Z06. Man, what a life... :)

Glad you had so much fun, and good luck tomorrow!

jas

·
Registered
Cts-v (on order) Red, Black interior, 6mt
57 Posts
Great write up man, sounds like a blast, god willing my v should be delivered by next weekend (in ohio - and i live in ny) so i should have a trip very similar to yours back to my home in New York. Sounds like it was a blast man, enjoy the v!

·
Registered
NONE
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And to top it off, you get to spend an absolutely gorgeous day at Summit Point tomorrow in your Z06. Man, what a life... :)

Glad you had so much fun, and good luck tomorrow!

jas
Too bad you can't make it by. The Z is all packed up and ready to roll. :thumbsup:

·
CadillacOwners First 09 CTS-V Owner
09 CTS-V, 08 Escalade
424 Posts
Sean,

What were you saying about not taking delivery of the car two weeks ago. :thepan:

This car is the real deal!

Mike

·
Registered
2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)
4,537 Posts
^^^^^
LOL, I remember that thread! :) Indeed, this is one of the few cars on the road where the hype is reflected by reality. Glad you enjoyed yours!

·
Registered
NONE
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think Mike is just giving me grief for even considering not taking delivery. Not that I was ever that serious about it...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts