Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just changed my oil today at 42,718 miles. Which was my second oil change, my first was at 35,660 miles. If ya'll read another post by me, you would of known that there are two things that I do when I buy an used car. One is to change the oil and two air filter. Because I never know when it was last changed.

I do my own oil changes, since it's cheaper and I trust myself not shops. All the warranty companies, that I know of, doesn't mind if you do your own maintenance. Just as long as you keep records, like you should with shops anyways.

So I changed my oil today and poured the old oil into the 5 quart jug that I used. It was just shy of being 5 quarts. I know that I used an entire 5qt jug and a 1/4 to a 1/3 of a 1 quart at my last oil change. I don't recall if I saw any oil spillage before, but there again I did that oil change at night time.

It appeared that it was coming from the alternator bracket, so I looked above and did not see anything on the valve covers. I could see much from underneath and in the position I was in. So I took her to my friend's shop and put her on the left. He looked and saw a small, but noticeable leak from what else, but the head gasket. Normally I would be very upset because I know it's going to cost an arm and leg. However, since she's an 06 CTS, she's still in warranty. WHEW, I have an appointment on Friday for a dealership to look at it and tell me what I already know.

I just thought that I'll let you guys know. And hopefully this is where that quart of oil went through out that 7,000 miles of drive. I know that you will say that GM says "A quart of oil burned per 1,200 miles is normal" I don't know about you, but who believes that?

KOT

·
Registered
CTS 03
1,765 Posts
Was it the head gasket or the valve cover gasket? I would think that if the head gasket were leaking, then antifreeze is getting into the oil as well. Just a thought

·
Registered
9,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know after I left my friend's shop. I thought about that too. I personally haven't heard a head gasket being blown by just oil and not even touch the water. Which by they way I just check and it's crystal clear, well pink.

I hope my basic "paint" looks ok to you. But I took the picture from under the car and the camera was upside down. But you can see the leakage from the arrow as it leaks downwards from the head gasket.

KOT

Attachments

·
Registered
9,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I just got back from the dealer. And like I've said above, it's the head gasket on the passenger side. Of course it will be replaced under warranty, thank God.

My question is now, maybe be dumb but I have to ask. They will be replacing both sides, right? I asked the front desk clerk, and she said "We only replace what is leaking, but we'll look at the other side too." I have never replaced a head gasket before, but seen it done. One would normally replace both sides right? Or is it a given since the way the engine is taking apart where both heads are taken off the block. Basically I am a little bothered some that they won't replace the other side while their in there, know what I mean?

Thanks

KOT

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Visit with service mgr. Ask him what he recommends. Service mgrs are generally very accommodating. Only problem is the state of the economy in Detroit. They might just do one head gasket right now.

Visit with him. Be very professional, and see what happens.

No matter what happens, your car is still in one piece; and apparently warranty is kicking in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts