Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello gang.

Some of you know I've been running a secret pulley (read - a modified pulley a machinest friend of mine made) while waiting for time to install the 2.6" pulley from South Florida Pulley.

Well, I tried to today, and it doesn't fit. The bore and keyway are the correct size, but the back of the pulley isn't large enough to fit over the snout on the maggie drive shaft.:banghead:

Anyone else run into this problem?

On another note - the B&B AWH bar went back on today (and I have the TSB bushings in place). Wheel hop is greatly diminished. No surprise there.

Also - x-pipe went in this afternoon. Man...yum, yum. SOTP difference? Possibly - but the sound is just, well, :eek:

Next weekend - Hotchkis bars and drilled rotors :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Actually, I didnt measure it but the shaft of the Magnussen
has a step in it. When you pull the pulley, you will see that there is a line half way up the shaft, about 3/8". Probably less than 0.002"deep. If you can get a shop to Skim the lead in of the pulley, it should go on.

Also, I went to the 2.8. Running into third the V falls flat for an instant. I attribute that to belt slip. In my opinion, the V belt at these smaller diameters just doesent have anough "surface" to keep a grab on the pulley. The smaller the pulley, the worse the problem. It should have been a cog belt.

·
Registered
2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V
3,570 Posts
lasstss said:
Also, I went to the 2.8. Running into third the V falls flat for an instant. I attribute that to belt slip. In my opinion, the V belt at these smaller diameters just doesent have anough "surface" to keep a grab on the pulley. The smaller the pulley, the worse the problem. It should have been a cog belt.
That's interesting. The belt practically wraps around the pulley to (hopefully) alleviate this exact problem. I suppose the solution is to change to a different belt.

Are you sure that isn't just in need of a tune? Your air/fuel ratios will go to the toilet when you change to the smaller pulley. I had to have a whole new tune once I went to the smaller (but correct) 2.8" pulley.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Luna. said:
That's interesting. The belt practically wraps around the pulley to (hopefully) alleviate this exact problem. I suppose the solution is to change to a different belt.

Are you sure that isn't just in need of a tune? Your air/fuel ratios will go to the toilet when you change to the smaller pulley. I had to have a whole new tune once I went to the smaller (but correct) 2.8" pulley.
Did the same thing with the 3" only not quite as bad. ( I have the stealth tune)My guess is that between shifts on/off the gas the belt jumps from the change. Im sure there is plenty of inertia in the blower shafts. It seems a bit worse whan its cold. I ll have to strap my video camera in there and see what its doing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts