Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is can a 2014 AWD ATS 2.0t ltg engine be swapped with a 2014 CTS 2.0t RWD?? My CTS engine took a dump with a piston failure at 74000 miles ...which is 4000 miles over the warranty , so Cadillac wont touch it. I am forced to look for a low mileage engine . Either way im just weighing my options ….any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2016 ATS Sedan / 2.0T / RWD / 6-AT
68 Posts
Concerning the ATS, the RWD 2.0T requires 4.7 liters the AWD 2.0T needs 5.7 liters of engine oil.

But I cannot tell you why...

·
Registered
ATS 2.0T Luxury AWD
264 Posts
honestly its the same engine. ZeGerman you may be looking at one that has the cooling package which adds and oil cooler. that may account for the extra quart of oil. jkbcomp1 you should easily be able to have that engine swapped. the difference should be the oil pan and sometimes the front cover.

·
Registered
2016 ATS Sedan / 2.0T / RWD / 6-AT
68 Posts
honestly its the same engine. ZeGerman you may be looking at one that has the cooling package which adds and oil cooler. that may account for the extra quart of oil. jkbcomp1 you should easily be able to have that engine swapped. the difference should be the oil pan and sometimes the front cover.
Hmm these filling capacities are listed in the service manual.
As you mentioned, yes it is 99% the same engine but there is a slight difference. But i can't tell whether you can swap the engine plug & play or not.

·
Registered
ATS
49 Posts
From my understanding I believe the only difference is going to be the oil pan, since the front diff goes through the oil pan in awd and you could transfer that.

·
Registered
'14 ATS 2.0T 6MT
434 Posts
If memory serves, ATS cradle is unique, Camaro/CTS/ATS-V share cradles that correspond to their respective engine/hp ratings.

Between that and awd vs rwd, yes only difference should be oil pan and possibly oil filter adapter. A quick search on Gmpartsdirect will verify. Ie pull up your year and drill down to engine oil pan p/n then check interchange info at the bottom.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found out Saturday that an ATS engine will work on a CTS, but not the other way...I’m gonna go with the ATS engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Let me go into detail ..Im in the process of getting hold of an ATS engine .Its the same engine as the CTS the only problem is it’s all wheel drive and my CTS is not...its RWD. I am also going to see if I can get the engine harness and all the other harnesses just in case.In addition it is the same year as my car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Either way very soon I’m going to get the ball rolling on this whole bullshit because I’m tired of my car sitting there.

·
Registered
2013 3.6 RWD Premium - 2006 BMW Z4M
1,372 Posts
Care to share with the class how that works?

Transitive law states that if a=b and b=c then a=c
Lots of possibilities, I don't know and am also interested but your law isn't what he said. He never said they were all equal, that's your thought but your post above seems less than certain with the "...if memory serves...", "...should be...", "....quick search on Gmpartsdirect will verify ....".

He said they are downward compatible which is not the same as equal, if you are certain he is wrong please explain.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts