Cadillac Owners Forum banner

621 - 632 of 632 Posts

·
Registered
2016 ATS4 2.0T and a bunch of other stuff....
537 Posts
Well that’s not an option for Cadillac but if it was an option for the owner, I’d agree with you.
It becomes an option for Cadillac when an internal engine problem arises for the third time - about 1,000 mi. after a rebuild that included crank, pistons, valves and timing components. There may be dealerships capable of properly diagnosing and repairing a major engine failure at only 26,000 mi, but not the one I was at. Long story short - I got a new complete engine at 30,000.

At this point, I'm sure more warranty money has been spent on my car than it cost for GM to build it. I told the dealership and CCS both that it should have been replaced the first time.

·
Registered
Current 2014 red CTS Vsport/ Black Raven 2013 3.6 ATS4 gone
3,501 Posts
For me just fixing the motor is a bandaid until warranty runs out. It's a second hand car at that point with a rebuild. The car never runs the same in most cases. We have to keep up with our end of the deal when buying. I think it's only fair with the known problem just replace the motor and they might spend less money in the long run. If I was guaranteed a good tech and good parts no problem. But you never know what your gonna get.

Just my opinion but if they were going to fix it I would have that done and get rid of the car. I would chalk it up as a loss and move on. If this was going on with my vsport I would get out of it. I understand faulty parts but not the motor. The motor is the # 1 factor for me buying a car. And it's hard for me to get rid of a car. I get attached. It was hard for me to hand in my ats at the end of the lease.

·
Registered
537 Posts
And it's hard for me to get rid of a car. I get attached.
That's my problem - I wanted this car bad - then this dealership made me hate it for most of the first year I had it....
Fortunately it's all good now. Different dealer has been great for the second year so far.
Having said that, I just extended warranty for 4 yrs.

·
Registered
2016 Escalade ESV, 2017 GMC Sierra 6.2
1,469 Posts
For me just fixing the motor is a bandaid until warranty runs out. It's a second hand car at that point with a rebuild. The car never runs the same in most cases.
That’s just not at all true. But that’s the “throw away” culture we have now. It’s absolutely long term fixable and would run no differently then a similar mileage engine. You are correct that you need a good tech doing the work and hopefully the dealer puts the right tech on a job that big.

·
Registered
2016 Escalade ESV, 2017 GMC Sierra 6.2
1,469 Posts
It becomes an option for Cadillac when an internal engine problem arises for the third time
Cadillac will never put a used engine in a car under warranty. They have two choices: fix or replace with new/GM rebuilt engine.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Cadillac will never put a used engine in a car under warranty. They have two choices: fix or replace with new/GM rebuilt engine.
Mine was new, replaced under warranty. I was just thinking I would go low miles used vs. rebuild if it was customer pay.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
That’s just not at all true. But that’s the “throw away” culture we have now. It’s absolutely long term fixable and would run no differently then a similar mileage engine. You are correct that you need a good tech doing the work and hopefully the dealer puts the right tech on a job that big.
The problem is you just never know what your going to get. And normally things are not what you would expect. I've seen many engines rebuilt and not all of them are up to par with what they originally were. Some hiccups and failures are going to happen. If it were an old school motor I would have more confidence. New motors are a lot more complex and much harder to get right. But either way you are rolling the dice.

·
Vendor
ATS 2.0T gone, 17 Charger Scat Pack current
1,177 Posts
The problem is you just never know what your going to get. And normally things are not what you would expect. I've seen many engines rebuilt and not all of them are up to par with what they originally were. Some hiccups and failures are going to happen. If it were an old school motor I would have more confidence. New motors are a lot more complex and much harder to get right. But either way you are rolling the dice.
My first rebuild failed again in less than 5K miles, so yeah, no thanks.

IMO, 9.9 out of 10 dealer techs have no business assembling a short block.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
My first rebuild failed again in less than 5K miles, so yeah, no thanks.

IMO, 9.9 out of 10 dealer techs have no business assembling a short block.
I agree. I'm just not the one for more headaches in life.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Yet thousands of these have been fixed without any additional issues. Hmmm...
Obviously at a better place with a better tech than I had........
In my dealership career, we had several guys that were capable of this kind of work, and I would have trusted them to do mine.
We also had those that I wouldn't let change my oil.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all. I have a 2.0 2015 about 80k miles. Blown 1cyl piston and seriously damaged a cylinder wall ( i has a tune to about 320HP) .
Now i want to order a used engine. As i understand its from 2017 8k miles camaro, the questions of mine is.
1. Did it wil fit? Did the transmision to Block is the same? ( 2017 ats is 8 autospeed and mine is 6 speed auto)
2. I heard thay until some produxtion Number of 2017 there is some problems witg piston i think and need to check this, but i cant find thay TSB.

I Will be happy for Quick reply because i need to give an answer until friday to keep thay engine for me.

621 - 632 of 632 Posts