Cadillac Owners Forum banner

601 - 620 of 632 Posts

·
Registered
ATS 2.0T Luxury AWD
268 Posts
If you were paying out of pocket, there were probably better options than paying a dealership to do the work.
Maybe its not too late.
You paid for the engine, find a reputable shop that can do the swap for you and have it all moved there. I bet you could have your car back in 2-3 days rather than a few more weeks.
Thats crazy either way.
to be honest man there literally was nobody else that would touch that engine. everyone wanted to just swap in a replacement. and my option was have another shop replace it. no warranty. or have gm do it with a 3 yr 100k mile warranty. which is why i opted for that.

·
Registered
ATS 2.0T Luxury AWD
268 Posts
Another thing that just came to mind....if the guy that was supposed to do it quit, and clearly nobody else there can/will do it, they must be waiting to hire a replacement. That said, the new guy at the dealerships first task is going to be putting your car back together...ugh.
and yes you were exactly right the new guy ended up with this as his first job. I will be honest he is doing a pretty good job. minus the fact that the new engine gm sent had the buick regal front engine and oil pan. i told the guy while he was putting on the crank pulley that he may want to swap it. and he was grateful i said that. hes a military hum v mechanic. the funny thing about gm is they have these techs they call them "world class mechanics" the two I have met are really just "world class @$$holes" so i am glad the new guy is doing it. i should get it back sometime next week. will be in the shop for two months almost.

·
Registered
Cadillac
16 Posts
2017 with 45k kms was running fine. Installed ZZP stage 1 kit, during first drive noticed boost would max out at 120 kPa, whereas stock I was seeing 143 kPa. After second tune from ZZP (calling for more boost) still only seeing max of 120. ZZP had no explanation. Ran like this for a few months until the smell of oil got too excessive. Compression test seen 95# front, 140/135/140 moving towards back. Used 2018 engine now on its way to me; going to upgrade to forged assembly before replacement of the stock 2017 engine.

Curious if anyone else has seen the boost limiting with the stock gauge as mentioned? Vehicle can hits the 120kPa limit very quick and it is always limited right at 120, never more or less. Thinking this may be due to the low cylinder compression, possibly leaking off boost, however that 120 number seems to be a hard limit for the gauge. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5 Posts
2014 CTS (69,700 miles)- Currently at the dealer after having it towed there since it would turn over but not start. No codes showed up... They borescoped the cylinders and found raw gas in two cylinders and a bad piston. Currently waiting to hear what the repair is going to be....they have to pull the engine apart. Possible long block they say. They've had the car for 2 weeks already. Will update the build date of the car later once I get it back.

·
Registered
2015 SRX Premium FWD
461 Posts
I hope all of you 2.0T people are using 91+ octane on a Turbocharged motor. If you are using 87 octane, don't wonder why you engine needs pistons. That's what detonation(result of not enough octne in your gasoline) does to engines.

·
Registered
ATS 2.0T Luxury AWD
268 Posts
I hope all of you 2.0T people are using 91+ octane on a Turbocharged motor. If you are using 87 octane, don't wonder why you engine needs pistons. That's what detonation(result of not enough octne in your gasoline) does to engines.
It sounds like you havent read much about/ owned a 2.0T the engine can easily run on 85, 87 ,91 etc. it has fuel mapping for all those octanes and anything in between. it is recommended you run 90 or higher due to the turbo and coking the valves. it will happen quicker with lower octane fuel and you wont get full use of the turbo. the issue with these engines is the oil ringland tolerances. they were/are too tight from the factory, plus they are extruded garbage.

·
Registered
2015 SRX Premium FWD
461 Posts
Oh, I've read/heard about it. I know that these engines are(supposedly) built to "tolerate" lower octane fuels, but I also know about LSPI(low speed pre-ignition) can be greatly reduced, or even eliminated by using higher octane fuels, and that's whats killing these engines! To me, there is no reason to use low octane fuel on a FI(forced induction) engine or an engine with more than 10.0 to 1 compression.

·
Registered
2013 Luxury ATS 2.0T Manual
703 Posts
Oh, I've read/heard about it. I know that these engines are(supposedly) built to "tolerate" lower octane fuels, but I also know about LSPI(low speed pre-ignition) can be greatly reduced, or even eliminated by using higher octane fuels, and that's whats killing these engines! To me, there is no reason to use low octane fuel on a FI(forced induction) engine or an engine with more than 10.0 to 1 compression.
Right. It'll run just fine on 87...within the warranty period!

·
Registered
2015 SRX Premium FWD
461 Posts
It sounds like you havent read much about/ owned a 2.0T the engine can easily run on 85, 87 ,91 etc. it has fuel mapping for all those octanes and anything in between. it is recommended you run 90 or higher due to the turbo and coking the valves. it will happen quicker with lower octane fuel and you wont get full use of the turbo. the issue with these engines is the oil ringland tolerances. they were/are too tight from the factory, plus they are extruded garbage.
Note with engine(surprisingly, should use premium fuel).

·
Registered
ATS 2.0T Luxury AWD
268 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
OK...Next update on my engine issue. The Cadillac dealership where I have my car called me after 3 weeks and said that the engine had no compression (on any cylinder) so they decided to order new pistons assuming that the pistons were the issue. A week later after they disassembled the engine and found that all 4 pistons were broke at the 10 o'clock position between the first and second compression rings. I was getting frustrated with the dealership because they were taking so long to get to my car and the information I was getting back from them was limited and not helpful, I decided to go down and see the car in person. Essentially, there was a chunk of broken piston about an inch long sandwiched between the rings. The broken part of the piston stayed with the piston and it looks like there is no damage to the cylinder. There was a lot of black carbon/coking on top the pistons themselves and I confirmed that all pistons were broken in the same spot. The dealership said that they have never seen this before. I asked if the new pistons were sturdier than the old ones...they said that they were but didn't know what made them better...:rolleyes: I tried to press for a new long block since I'm now worried that some small bits of metal ran through the engine damaging other parts. They said that GM only pays so much for engine repairs and they wouldn't pay for a new block. I asked them to replace the spark plugs and timing chain since those parts are already out of the engine. Is there anything else I should have replaced while the engine is out?

·
Registered
Current 2014 red CTS Vsport/ Black Raven 2013 3.6 ATS4 gone
3,501 Posts
OK...Next update on my engine issue. The Cadillac dealership where I have my car called me after 3 weeks and said that the engine had no compression (on any cylinder) so they decided to order new pistons assuming that the pistons were the issue. A week later after they disassembled the engine and found that all 4 pistons were broke at the 10 o'clock position between the first and second compression rings. I was getting frustrated with the dealership because they were taking so long to get to my car and the information I was getting back from them was limited and not helpful, I decided to go down and see the car in person. Essentially, there was a chunk of broken piston about an inch long sandwiched between the rings. The broken part of the piston stayed with the piston and it looks like there is no damage to the cylinder. There was a lot of black carbon/coking on top the pistons themselves and I confirmed that all pistons were broken in the same spot. The dealership said that they have never seen this before. I asked if the new pistons were sturdier than the old ones...they said that they were but didn't know what made them better...:rolleyes: I tried to press for a new long block since I'm now worried that some small bits of metal ran through the engine damaging other parts. They said that GM only pays so much for engine repairs and they wouldn't pay for a new block. I asked them to replace the spark plugs and timing chain since those parts are already out of the engine. Is there anything else I should have replaced while the engine is out?
With all that I would push for a new motor more. None of this is your fault and you are paying for this car. I would be really afraid 50k miles down the road it would blow up. If they didn't I might drop that car off there and say bye to it. Then call a lawyer because I do not want that car back unless they put in a new motor. To much could be wrong with it. I hope things turn out well for you.

·
Registered
2016 ATS4 2.0T and a bunch of other stuff....
537 Posts
I pray you have a better dealership than the one that was inside my motor twice before it was eventually replaced.
My troubles began at only 28,000 mi, and my (failed) rebuild included a crank and valves due to a timing gear failure. Started hearing top end noise at 30k miles and it was then replaced.
Stupid warranty policy cost me over 60 days without my car.
Kick, bite, scratch, and fight for a complete engine NOW.

·
Registered
Current 2014 red CTS Vsport/ Black Raven 2013 3.6 ATS4 gone
3,501 Posts
I pray you have a better dealership than the one that was inside my motor twice before it was eventually replaced.
My troubles began at only 28,000 mi, and my (failed) rebuild included a crank and valves due to a timing gear failure. Started hearing top end noise at 30k miles and it was then replaced.
Stupid warranty policy cost me over 60 days without my car.
Kick, bite, scratch, and fight for a complete engine NOW.
I agree with you %100

·
Registered
2016 Escalade ESV, 2017 GMC Sierra 6.2
1,469 Posts
It’s just a business transaction to them. If the engine is fixable, there is a good tech working on it, and it’ll cost less to fix it then replace it...they’ll fix it. After all, they are paying the repair bill.
If you were paying the repair bill and the engine is fixable, there is a good tech working on it, and it’ll cost less to fix it then replace it...you’d probably pay to fix it instead of replacing it. Just saying.

·
Registered
2016 Escalade ESV, 2017 GMC Sierra 6.2
1,469 Posts
Nope. See my story above.
I'd rather find a low miles used engine vs. a dealership rebuild if I was paying.
Well that’s not an option for Cadillac but if it was an option for the owner, I’d agree with you.

601 - 620 of 632 Posts