Cadillac Owners Forum banner

581 - 600 of 632 Posts

·
Registered
Current 2014 red CTS Vsport/ Black Raven 2013 3.6 ATS4 gone
3,501 Posts
you got another one? Better motor though. Good luck. Bad post. Sorry trying to figure this new joint out.

·
Vendor
ATS 2.0T gone, 17 Charger Scat Pack current
1,178 Posts
Little info to share here...

We recently hired a new calibrator, he came to us from GM.
He was working on 2.0T stuff most recently.
He's well aware of the piston failures on the 13-15 models and has a solid idea of what causes them.
Once thing he mentioned that I had not seen posted in relation to this issue previously, is that the actual PCV valve is part of the issue.
Apparently swapping to the PCV valve from a 1.4T motor increases the flow tremendously and resolves many of the oil consumption and control problems that can lead to piston failures.

May be preventative maintenance for anyone who has yet to have a failure or wants to avoid another one ;)

·
Registered
2016 ATS4 2.0T and a bunch of other stuff....
537 Posts

He's well aware of the piston failures on the 13-15 models and has a solid idea of what causes them.
Once thing he mentioned that I had not seen posted in relation to this issue previously, is that the actual PCV valve is part of the issue.
Apparently swapping to the PCV valve from a 1.4T motor increases the flow tremendously and resolves many of the oil consumption and control problems that can lead to piston failures.

May be preventative maintenance for anyone who has yet to have a failure or wants to avoid another one ;)
Interesting. Would it be beneficial on my 2016 2.0?
I was surprised to see an oil puddle in the turbo inlet when I pulled the hose off at about 25,000 mi.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Dropped a valve #3 cylinder, Cadillac fixed it, got a Mishi Moto catch can System CVC, PVC and not a problem since? 37000 miles

·
Registered
ATS 2.0T Luxury AWD
268 Posts

just the valve itself? I would be down for trying that out once I get my car back with the new motor.

·
Vendor
1,178 Posts
Yes, just the valve itself.
He tells me they changed it starting in 16 and it uses the 1.4T valve from 16+.

Thanks

·
Registered
2013 ats premium 2.0t blew up gone. 2016 cts V-sport , 2017 ZL1 record holder
53 Posts
Though I sold mine off years ago I still hang around as I tune a shit ton of these cars all over the place from Russia to China. Just got some speed shops and a team Cadillac ATS in Dubai for road racing. The same problem that plagues the bran new ones that still use the ltg was the problem back on the 2013s like my own that failed when it had a big turbo on it making the 400whp range. The stock turbo manifold is way to restrictive causes too much heat in the cylinders especially #3 as that port on the manifold chokes to under 1 inch where it merges into the #2 port. On the dual scroll setup 1-4 2-3 are shared. 3 is the worst spot of choke so explains why that piston was the common one if was lucky enough to only break one. Now the second part of this mess is the piston ring gap. Gm runs it super tight a typical turbo motor by the math should be in the .012-.016 range on the top ring at this bore size. Gm spec is as low as .007 on this motor. So if you had a bunch of these make it out there with ring gap from .007-.012 and possibly in a region it just gets hot summers which is any where anymore you have a failure waiting to happen. I have even seen a large turbo zfr build eat the block between the water jacket and the cylinder due to the heat generated from this shitty manifold design. Didn’t break a ring didn’t break the piston but got a head gasket leak and block was toast. Car was on 28 psi with a large methanol nozzle spraying 50/50 mix with only 10 degrees of timing and showed random 1.0-1.5 kr here and there at part throttle none on wot. I have stock turbo cars on 22 psi on methanol and e60 that run 18 degrees of timing making in the 370whp range with zero issues. So the key is keep the cylinder temps down or change the manifold if wanted to stay on 93. All my cars on ethanol never have issues as it’s a much cooler cylinder even big turbo ones on stock bottom ends. It’s a major design flaw and why the ltg was finally replaced in most models with the lower hp 2.0t yet Mercedes amg just released a beast of a 2.0t making v8 hp. I’m working on a modded manifold design that will hopefully help and be affordable will just send back the old stock one for exchange. The best way to make the car more reliable with out a tear down is put it on ethanol and tune the car properly. Any of them on 93 is a ticking time bomb due to the design flaws in the motor. So never had anything to do with the PVC or sucking gunk it’s as simple as too much heat in the cylinder the piston swells and the ring gaps butt ends and pops the pistons. If you look at most failures you can see the ends of the rings had been slamming into each other until it broke the pistons. That’s from heat plain and simple. Had Gm ran a .016-.020 top ring gap and .002 less on the bottom probably wouldn’t have had many failures at all on any of these motors. Seen a ton of the 2016s and up fail most don’t on stock tunes but with a few mods on 93 they have the same exact issues. Yet the few I had people go up on the ring gap and all of them on ethanol and or methanol kits with a good tune never have any kind of issues if someone made an affordable tube header for this motor they would make a killing. There has been a couple of these on tube headers with big turbos make well over 400whp and not have an engine fail. I had a car in Russia that made over 450whp and he had a 75 shot of nitrous on it to make over 550whp live on a stock short block for a long time as it had a tube header on it.
So I have proven my theory over and over and come to this conclusion with many broken tear down inspections and what things you can do to keep it from happening when know it’s a cylinder temp problem. Another thing that will help is running this thing at 170-180 vrs 200 plus but this thermostat is an odd design so no one as attempted to make a lower temp one. But to run this engine at lower temp all the time will also help this condition. I am available for tuning for those that have been on the fence and will know they are getting the best you can get on the car. I also hold the worlds fastest bolt on only 6th gen zl1 record and was the first ever to break into the 9s on bolt on only. So what I learned on my own v8 stuff I applied back to these with great success.

·
Registered
ATS 2.0T Luxury AWD
268 Posts
well its been over a month and my car has been sitting in the Cadi Dealers lot untouched. I even paid for the engine upfront. Spoke with cadillac corporate. they could care less. the lady i spoke to was so rude and kept interrupting me trying to guess my problem before I even was able to tell her she started saying they were having problems at the dealership. first they ordered my longblock engine and didnt order seals? really?!.... then my engine has been sitting in a crate on their floor now for 3 weeks. then they said after they got the parts the technician that was assigned to work on my vehicle quit....how is that my problem? dont you have other technicians that can do a engine swap? i mean its a new engine you just drop the old one swap the stuff and put the new one in there... am I being unreasonable here?

·
Registered
2016 ATS4 2.0T and a bunch of other stuff....
537 Posts
Are you in MI? Sounds like you're stuck the same place I was for a replacement engine.
7 weeks. Same stories.
Thank God I'm under warranty.

·
Registered
ATS 2.0T Luxury AWD
268 Posts
Are you in MI? Sounds like you're stuck the same place I was for a replacement engine.
7 weeks. Same stories.
Thank God I'm under warranty.
I am in Utah. man I cannot believe how long it takes them to do this. even ZZP taking the engine out putting performance parts in, balancing, and rebuilding the entire engine then tuning and breaking it in dont even take this long. WTF.

·
Vendor
1,178 Posts
If you were paying out of pocket, there were probably better options than paying a dealership to do the work.
Maybe its not too late.
You paid for the engine, find a reputable shop that can do the swap for you and have it all moved there. I bet you could have your car back in 2-3 days rather than a few more weeks.
Thats crazy either way.

·
Vendor
1,178 Posts
Another thing that just came to mind....if the guy that was supposed to do it quit, and clearly nobody else there can/will do it, they must be waiting to hire a replacement. That said, the new guy at the dealerships first task is going to be putting your car back together...ugh.

581 - 600 of 632 Posts